Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1994 SLS that won't start. Message says, starting diabled due to anti-theft system, remove key, wait 3 minutes, start car. Still won't start. Is there something else to try? Or can the system be bypassed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Thanks Chp350. The article is largely a reprint of one found by Googling VATS, but I added specifics for Cadillacs. Typically, when someone's VATS reader is "toast", they need the fastest fix possible. I was very lucky to have a store assistant in Radio Shack get me the correct combination of resistors for my "VATS number". I needed 4 resistors to do the job. I should add that it is possible to restore some of the anti-theft capabilities to the bypassed VATS module by putting a switch in series to the resistor pack. The switch should be a black "rocker" type that could be mounted on the kick panel out of sight. Yes, it would be a pain to reach for it, but if you park in doubtful areas, it could fool a thief enough that he would give up on the car. The downside: if you forget to click the switch "on" before the first attempt to start the car, you will still get the 3 minute wait message.

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I can't seem to be able to find the orange conduit. I see an orange wire but it's bundled together with other wires. I measured the resistance across the key at 2.33k, my bypass measures 2.30k, is that good enough? Thanks

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
That difference should be within the 2% up/down tolerance. As far as locating the wire under the dash, look for an orange plastic conduit (kind of like a skinny straw) that has 2 white or grayish-white wires coming out near the end. This would be where the conduit approaches a major harness. That should be what needs to be cut. In some years, it may have been "bundled" with other wires so check each orange wire out. Be VERY careful not to mess with any yellow wires as they are part of the air bag system.

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to say thanks for the info. Followed the instructions and it started right up. Did the whole job for about 25 bucks. Had to buy a soldering iron. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
jbl99, I'm glad it worked for you too. Mine's been great for weeks now and I soldered the resistor chain directly on the VATS wires. It's much better than spending $400 to $600 to replace the ignition tumbler assembly. A soldering gun is a handy tool to have around the house. I hope your problems are solved.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado
12 Posts
Hi, im getting the troublesome display on my dash, but i don't get exactly the same one. For me its just, "Starting disabled due to theft system, remove ignition key." and then it just loops nothing about waiting 3 mins. I had to have it towed home. So do i have the same problem, or is it just the difference in the years? My car is a '96 Eldo.

·
Registered
2007 srx 1997 etc 1993 allante 1970 coupe deville 1979 t/a
112 Posts
from my experience it would be 99% the same problem...some knowledge of how to do it , a .20 cent resistor of the right value and some heat shrink tubing is all you need to find out and its the first thing I would do if it was mine

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado
12 Posts
Ok, after looking at your link I believe I understand what needs to be done but just so I don't screw things up. Is this how the wires are suppose to look after I'm done?

O = Ignition switch
X = Resistor pack

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Yes...where the "X" loop containing the resistor pack goes to the large harness.
|----------------gray-white wire to harness------>
X
|----------------gray-white wire to harness------>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts