Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting this message on my dash. I tried to pull codes with my Modis, none held. Pulled codes manually and got about 8 BCM codes. Looks like it MIGHT be tied in with the pass-key set up, but I would think the car would not start if thats where the problem is. Could this be a bad BCM?
Has anyone seen this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Probably the key itself, try the spare key. Fill out your profile so we know what year , model etc. Older ones wear out or the pellet in the key cant be read.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The wires have a tendency to break inside the column, usually inside the insulation. This lets them make contact depending on the position of the lock cylinder, so when you rotate it they will touch, not touch depending on where it is in the rotation. This is enough for codes to set and the DIC to warn you of an impending failure.

It's quite likely you need to replace the lock cylinder, this will require a new ignition key. Get two (one for a spare). Also the new key pellet must match the old key pellet.

This is a VERY common problem when PassKey2 equipped cars get older.

HTH

·
Registered
94 SLS, 97 STS, 05 STS
34 Posts
I had the same problem on my 97 STS, tried the second key, put in a resistor to bypass, tore into the ignition switch. Turned out to be a bad ground wire. It's been fine for a year now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts