Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would put this out here for discussion, to see if anyone else thinks it may be a good idea, or if it may result in any technical problems if it were actually done.

I had the idea a while back to install a relay inline with the 12V feed to the iginition module on my 1995 Deville (which in turn controls the power to the coil for the hi-voltage spark output) such that I could off the power to the distributor with a hidden switch or keypad when the car was parked. This would prevent starting of the car provided someone successfully bypassed the pass-key system. Basically about the same as pulling the coil wire (although the 4.9 GM HEI has no coil wire, the coil inside the Distributor).

I also thought about taking a step further with a short range wireless remote setup (seperate from the factory remote) that would immobilize the car if it were jacked while I was at a stop. Bad guy kicks me out, drives 50', car dies, can't be restarted (no spark!), he's screwed. And if it's been a really bad day for me already, I catch up to him and beat his a$$ right there in the street. :thepan:

Now, the social/criminal implications of my rage :want:being unleashed on the bad guys face aside, does anyone here think:

1) That this would work without causing codes/vehicle malfunctions? PCM just might be touchy about losing spark with engine running is my gut feeling although it likely wouldn't cause any real mechanical or electrical damage. If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know.

2) That there would be a liabilty on the vehilce owner if an accident occured due to the use of such an immoblizer? I know that On-Star can track and immobilize vehicles, and I guess Lo-jack has some similar setup (I've not looked at this in depth) so what criteria do they use when they decide to shut down a car that is running. Clearly, common sense says you don't do it when the car is travelling at a high rate of speed on a multi-lane road, as the sudden loss of speed and stop (and power steering/brakes) will almost certainly cause a smash-up.

Of course, there would have to be a safeguard in place to prevent accidental activation of such a feature (code entry, or multiple switch press or some such device) not just a simple one shot momentary swtich closure. The wireless setup would almost have to be a high-security encoded transmission to prevent accidental triggering by stray signals in the same frequency range. This is all doable, but I'd like the thoughts of anyone who cares to comment on the idea.

KDirk

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,100 Posts
I thought they just load your rig on a roll back and haul it away when you're not looking. If I'm in a questionable neighborhood I have a loaded S&W 9mm in my lap. I don't believe in high tech solutions for people problems.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
How would this work during a carjacking? You would have to keep the remote on you. You couldnt really take it off the keychain.

Other than that I like the idea.

It should throw an ignition code or 2 when the circuit is broken but that can be reset in the event that it is used.

As far as the shutting it down at a high rate of speed I think it would be unlikely unless the system malfunctions but it would act as if a car died on the road which isnt that all uncommon or serious of a problem but its still something to keep in mind for the durability of this system.

If it came down to it in a legal matter I dont think theyll go too much further than vehicle failure. Blowing out a tire would be more dangerous IMO.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I applaud the elegance of your design approach in that you thought out well beyond the electrical and mechanical solution to include failure modes and operational issues. :thumbsup: I can tell you though, that a system like this would not work for me. From a carjacking perspective I need to assume that the jacker had a very persuasive reason to get me out of the car (i.e. a gun, because the guy who taps a knife on my window is going to get a quick reverse followed by a bumper snack). So if you immobilize the vehicle within the remote range, you now have a pissed off criminal with a gun or other persuasive object on your hands :eek: since he got you out of the car in the first place. I think I'd rather say via con dios to the Caddy and live to shop for another. As Derty pointed out, you would also have to have the remote separate from your keys. After 40, I can barely get out of the house with my wallet, cell phone and keys most times - one more thing to keep track of would require brain power I've already lost. Your concern about immobilizing a moving vehicle is also highly valid - with my luck I would shut it down right in front of the church choir van while they're on their way to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the homeless. Smile for the six o'clock news at my arraignment. From a theft perspective, if they can get past the factory theft deterrent, they can probably get past this too. At a minimum they'll lave you with an immobile, but trashed car if they don't just haul it with a wrecker. I've had two cars stolen, :rant2: and while I would love to have had the 4 million volt seat vaporizer installed to reduce them to elemental carbon :bazooka: in the end the path of least resistance is to call the insurance company and let them work it out. I really do like the design though.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...

dkozloski-

Yeah, that is a problem, and no way to stop it from happening (hauling it on a flatbed) but this is an uncommon occurrence where I'm at and there's no system that can prevent it (unless the car were to self destruct on being lifted off the ground or inclined beyond a certain angle) which would be great on principal [unsuspecting car thief gets vaporized], but bad on legality.

derrtydeville-

As far as the remote, I would have a seperate FOB for this purpose. I already carry two key rings at all times (car keys only on one, with factory remote attached) and a second with house keys, office keys, etc. and a door key for the car in case I get stupid and lock myself out of it (which has never happened....yet).

It would be a short range (200' max probably) system that would kill the car and leave it with no means of restarting (until I reset it with the "magic"). I would only use this if I was removed from the vehicle, and then only if I thought I could take cover away from any resulting outburst from the bad guy when he realized he was SOL. Would he trash the car? Maybe. Still, I wouldn't think he would hang around too long, and would probably run off or find another target. Especially if it happened during the day on a busy street, which has been known to happen.

chubbyranger-

Thanks for your compliments. Anytime I get an idea, I try to think it out well to cover any contingencies. Probably more than I need to in most cases. I agree that most carjackers would get the run down treatment if I had that possibility at my disposal at the time. Depends on traffic, surroundings, whether he's armed, etc.

This idea just came to me a few weeks ago when I was bored and while I probably won't do it (practicality, cost, overall usefulness issues considered) I thought I would throw it out here for consideration. I glad that at least a few people think it has technical merit even if it has some practical shortcomings.

Oh, and I thought I was the only one who wanted to install the "hot seat". I guess great (or maybe twisted) minds think alike.

KDirk

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
You shouldn't actually do it to your car - you should patent it and market it. I was thinking about your idea more after I posted and there is one target demographic that would eat that idea up, even though its impractical: Mommies. The one scenario apparently none of us considered was if you were to get jacked with your kids in the car. While you still run the risk of having a hostage situation with a now pissed off and probably armed felon, you're not much better off if you let your neighborhood crackhead take off with the Yukon and little Timmy filling his diaper while he's strapped in the car seat. Every soccer mom within 75 miles of any major metropolitan crime area would be lining up to get one. Just remember me when you hit the big time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
about 20 years ago, my dad used to work as a mechanic at a v-dub dealership, and he asked everyone if they wanted his personal anti-theft device. all it was was a hidden switch on the car, the switch cut power to the starter. and he would hide the switch in the hood ornamate, by one of the tires or in the car by the pedal cluster. with the hood ornamate, as you get out of your car, brush the ornamate as you walk by, the switch by a tire, act like you are kicking the tire to check the pressure and hit the switch, and the switch in the pedal cluster, just hit the switch as you get in/out of the car.

as far as your idea, maybe instead of a button to push to activate the system, make it proximity sensitive. if you wear a belt regularly, imbed the sensor in the buckle, and if you aren't within a certain range, the system shuts down the car. that way there isn't anything obvious that would give away what happened. and i would definitely hide a bypass so if your car won't start in the morning, you can bypass the system to help troubleshoot the problem.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
I still dont see any harm in the car dying.

If someone were to steal the car and it died 50-200 feet later I highly doubt they would be pissed enough to attack you. They probably are more worried about getting the hell outta there.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,100 Posts
Has anybody had any experience with thefts of a car with a keyless system like an '06 STS?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts