Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport Package
14 Posts
"Oh and on a side note, whenever I go up there I always make sure the antenna module has power and ground. There is a small 3 wire connection on there that has power, ground, and a data wire. A fuse can blow if that power wire gets shorted on its way to the module "

What fuse would this be?
I just tried the new module again. The new module gets static for the radio and the RKE does not work. Based on the comment above about the radio tuner going bad, this makes sense.
So now I need to test my radio for a bad radio tuner and check for a blown fuse.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Let me recheck the manual.
The fuse is located in the left rear fuse block (under the front edge of the rear seat).
It is labeled "TRUNK DR RELEASE".
At least on an '03.

RKE won't work until you program the transmitters to the new receiver which requires a scan tool.
When you check the radio reception be sure to use the seek button, if the tuner is dead it probably won't land on any stations, I think it goes the full band twice and then stops where it was before.
There is no real "test" for it. Like I said I usually have another one on the lot I can swap in to check real quick.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
When you check the radio reception be sure to use the seek button, if the tuner is dead it probably won't land on any stations, I think it goes the full band twice and then stops where it was before.
There is no real "test" for it. Like I said I usually have another one on the lot I can swap in to check real quick.
I am getting lost here. The module up in the headliner is simply an amp for the radio's antenna? And the actual head unit is the radio? The radio is what is looking for the stations, not the module in the headliner. Right?

KOT

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport Package
14 Posts
@ewill3rd - THANKS.
I used the seach button and it did not hit any stations. It stopped on the starting station after running through the full band once.
I couldn't find the fuse (don't know how to take the backseat out), but I think the seek button test pretty much confirms it's the radio tuner.
Thanks again.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
KOT,

The tuner is built into the head unit or the in dash unit.
It houses all the hardware needed to process the am/fm signals and audio signals out to the amp.
The '03s usually had a CD and cassette. The output from the radio is usually a set level and the radio sends signals via a communication bus to tell the amp how to control amplification (volume) as you turn the knob. There are also some input signals from the vehicle to the amplifier to control things like mute level for OnStar or the left front channel for the key and light chimes.
The steering wheel controls are also inputs to the radio head unit.

The antenna module is a receiver/amplifier.
It picks up the RF from the key fobs, the tire pressure sensors and it uses the diversity antenna system to pick up am/fm signals, it boosts them and then feeds them to the radio for processing. It also has a communication circuit to send out to the DIM and RIM commands for keyless entry and signals to the radio for tire pressure sensor readings, etc.

Orange, See if you can find one salvage, you'll need someone to clear the theftlock but otherwise it should work fine.
Otherwise you'll need an AC Delco authorized repair facility to give you an exchange unit that has been repaired.
I am not sure what the pricetag is on that but I think it is around $400-$600 for an exchange on the base radio.
Sadly I have seen several do this on the '03s.
When you are looking for a used one you have to be sure it is from an '03 or you have to know if it is black or gray. The '03 had a kind of a gray colored dash and in '04 they went to black everything so if you get one that is black and put it in the gray dash... well let's just say "sore thumb".

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
ewill3rd, That's what I though. The head unit does all of the tuning. While the module in the head liner is the signal amp. I guess I was just reading it wrong above.

Orange03CTS. To remove the rear seat is pretty easy. Just pull upwards on the front area of the seat. There are two "clips" one on the passenger, and the other on the driver's side. Then there are hooks on the rear part of the seat that hooks into the car. Once you have the seat out, just push the rug forwards to reveal the fuse boxes. One on each side.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6
38 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys, but I finally did get some pictures of the replacement. I'd rate it somewhere between simple and medium difficulty. Shouldn't take more than an hour the first time. Here's the steps:

1. Remove the rear dome light. It's got a little "trap door" on the rear that exposes a bolt that holds both the dome light and the antenna module in place (see below).

It's a 10mm bolt

2. Remove the Interior panel for the C-pillars (both sides). This may be the most difficult part. There's a screw in there that I'm not sure how to get out because the housing for the screw on my car was already broke, on both sides. There's a clip on the bottom closest to the door that pops out, but I think that's it.

3. If you want you can remove the handles on the headliner above each door. I found out this wasn't completely necessary, but it may help you from putting a kink in your headliner, which I kind of did, even though it's not very noticeable. On each side of the handle is a cap that you have to pop off in order to undo the screws. To get the caps off you have to pop out each side (left and right, if you're looking in the same direction as the car is facing).

4. Now pull down the back of the headliner, this is what you see from the right side:

5. Pull out the two cables going into the right side of the module that you see above.

6. Now on the left side is a connector that I believe is the power source for the module. This guy's a little harder to get out because there's not much room for your hand in there. On the one side of the connector is a clip you have to push in to remove the connector. Here's what it looks like:

7. Finally, there's two antenna's that come out of the module and clip to the inside of the rear windshield. Just pop them off the rear windshield. Here's what one looks like.

8. Put the new module in and work backwards to put the car back together.

JoMo
I was just wondering if you still have the pictures you took while u did this job? I need to replace mine to program my key fobs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys, but I finally did get some pictures of the replacement. I'd rate it somewhere between simple and medium difficulty. Shouldn't take more than an hour the first time. Here's the steps:

1. Remove the rear dome light. It's got a little "trap door" on the rear that exposes a bolt that holds both the dome light and the antenna module in place (see below).

It's a 10mm bolt

2. Remove the Interior panel for the C-pillars (both sides). This may be the most difficult part. There's a screw in there that I'm not sure how to get out because the housing for the screw on my car was already broke, on both sides. There's a clip on the bottom closest to the door that pops out, but I think that's it.

3. If you want you can remove the handles on the headliner above each door. I found out this wasn't completely necessary, but it may help you from putting a kink in your headliner, which I kind of did, even though it's not very noticeable. On each side of the handle is a cap that you have to pop off in order to undo the screws. To get the caps off you have to pop out each side (left and right, if you're looking in the same direction as the car is facing).

4. Now pull down the back of the headliner, this is what you see from the right side:

5. Pull out the two cables going into the right side of the module that you see above.

6. Now on the left side is a connector that I believe is the power source for the module. This guy's a little harder to get out because there's not much room for your hand in there. On the one side of the connector is a clip you have to push in to remove the connector. Here's what it looks like:

7. Finally, there's two antenna's that come out of the module and clip to the inside of the rear windshield. Just pop them off the rear windshield. Here's what one looks like.

8. Put the new module in and work backwards to put the car back together.

JoMo
if you pop out the small trim piece that says airbag on it you can access the small bolt.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
23 Posts
I would like to see the pictures as well. Dealing with this exact poor to no radio reception on my '03 CTS.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
Have you thought about trying a new antenna? Cheap and easy to change:

Roy

21 - 30 of 30 Posts