Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone one here replaced the Antenna module? I have an 03 CTS with the FM cutting in and out. I'm wondering what the difficulty level of this job is or if anyone has any insight on this. The dealer is quoting me 2 hours of labor, so I figure it probably only takes them ~30 min so it shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks in Advance.

J

·
Registered
05' CTS
60 Posts
I had it done under warranty they have to pull the headliner and be very careful that you don't put a kink in the headliner. it was close to three hours when i waited for it to be done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

Also, does anyone know what part number the Radio Antenna Module for the 03 CTS is? The dealer told me 12233252, but when I search for it online, it comes up with 89047438. I'm inclined to go with the dealer, but I figure I'd ask so that I don't buy the wrong part.

I've also read that GM fixed a problem with this part for the late 04 MY, and I'd like to get the most up to date part. Thanks.

J

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
isn't the antenna on the windshield (for the radio)?

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
my bad - i was way off on this topic... You are correct...

But tell me, which way does it run? The cable starts from the back, along the roof, to the front: at which point it goes down the side of a pillar? correct? which pillar?

I would like to run a new cable down to the back of the car (and leave the factory cable right where it is - rather than fishing it out). Is there a safe way of removing the actual antenna on top of the roof? Is it glued on or screwed on?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
It's not likley that the wire is bad, I'd check the connectors on each end before you go through all that trouble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my bad - i was way off on this topic... You are correct...

But tell me, which way does it run? The cable starts from the back, along the roof, to the front: at which point it goes down the side of a pillar? correct? which pillar?

I would like to run a new cable down to the back of the car (and leave the factory cable right where it is - rather than fishing it out). Is there a safe way of removing the actual antenna on top of the roof? Is it glued on or screwed on?
If you still want to do this, I'll be able to tell you after my part comes in and I take the headliner off to replace the part, hopefully this weekend.

Also, for anyone else that may want to know, the correct part number for the Antenna Module replacement is 12233252. GMpartsdirect.com carries the part for about $100. Dealer wanted $200.

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
@JoMo

Thanks. Plenty of pics would be great.

Good luck

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport Package
14 Posts
I'm interested in doing this also. The dealer told me it would be about $500 for them to replace it.
Did you do the repair yet? How did it go? What are the steps to remove the headliner. I'd like to see some pictures too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm interested in doing this also. The dealer told me it would be about $500 for them to replace it.
Did you do the repair yet? How did it go? What are the steps to remove the headliner. I'd like to see some pictures too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay guys, but I finally did get some pictures of the replacement. I'd rate it somewhere between simple and medium difficulty. Shouldn't take more than an hour the first time. Here's the steps:

1. Remove the rear dome light. It's got a little "trap door" on the rear that exposes a bolt that holds both the dome light and the antenna module in place (see below).

It's a 10mm bolt

2. Remove the Interior panel for the C-pillars (both sides). This may be the most difficult part. There's a screw in there that I'm not sure how to get out because the housing for the screw on my car was already broke, on both sides. There's a clip on the bottom closest to the door that pops out, but I think that's it.

3. If you want you can remove the handles on the headliner above each door. I found out this wasn't completely necessary, but it may help you from putting a kink in your headliner, which I kind of did, even though it's not very noticeable. On each side of the handle is a cap that you have to pop off in order to undo the screws. To get the caps off you have to pop out each side (left and right, if you're looking in the same direction as the car is facing).

4. Now pull down the back of the headliner, this is what you see from the right side:

5. Pull out the two cables going into the right side of the module that you see above.

6. Now on the left side is a connector that I believe is the power source for the module. This guy's a little harder to get out because there's not much room for your hand in there. On the one side of the connector is a clip you have to push in to remove the connector. Here's what it looks like:

7. Finally, there's two antenna's that come out of the module and clip to the inside of the rear windshield. Just pop them off the rear windshield. Here's what one looks like.

8. Put the new module in and work backwards to put the car back together.

JoMo

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
@JoMo

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JoMo - does the antenna module need to be reprogrammed? Do you just plug it in, then it works or do you have to reset anything? I bought a new module, plugged it in, and it didn't work. The key fobs did not work and I didn't even get any static through the speakers. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Perhaps the wrong module was changed? I recall ewill telling me about the key fob working off of the same module as the tire pressure sensors. But nothing of the FM radio using the same module.
But in the mean time, did you check all fuses and such? Did your FM module not work at all, or could you put back in for testing? To see if your key fob comes back to working again.

KOT

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The antenna module is the receiver for keyless entry (RKE), TPM, and AM/FM.

The 03 CTS is pretty notorious for blowing radio tuners.
I can't recall if it usually loses AM and FM but I know they come in sometimes with no reception and I swap out a known good radio and they work fine.
The antenna modules CAN go bad but rarely do.

The antenna module does need some programming but mainly for the RKE and TPM (if it has it).
It should be plug and play for the radio.
Be sure all the leads are connected, don't forget the extra wire lead in the headliner and the two snaps on the back glass.

Also critical to remember is that the ground for the antenna module is the bolt that goes through the dome lamp assembly.
It will get power and ground for the amplification but the antenna ground plane is the housing and it must be grounded properly to the roof sheetmetal.
You have to totally install it to test it.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
I stand corrected. I had no idea that AM/FM, tire pressure and remote keyless entry all went through one device.

I know this thread is about an 03, well I have an 06. So why do I have three points on the windshields for antenna connections? Two on the rear, both left and right side. And one on the front, just on the passenger side. Well, at least I know I have one in the rear, and one in the front. I assume one of them is for OnStar, which I know for sure that is a separate module. :)

KOT

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I stand corrected. I had no idea that AM/FM, tire pressure and remote keyless entry all went through one device.

I know this thread is about an 03, well I have an 06. So why do I have three points on the windshields for antenna connections? Two on the rear, both left and right side. And one on the front, just on the passenger side. Well, at least I know I have one in the rear, and one in the front. I assume one of them is for OnStar, which I know for sure that is a separate module. :)

KOT
wait... the antenna is in the back? i have my xm tuner wire stuck on the lines on the top passenger side of he windshield.... it works perfect... nice and clear

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I am not sure exactly how they break up the grids but each has a job.
I think they use 2 grids for the FM and one for the AM band.
I'm sorry I don't know the details on that, I could probably look them up but yeah they use 3 connections for radio reception. One on the front glass and 2 on the back.
That small upper grid is the radio antenna and the large lower grid is of course the rear window defogger.

Ah, now I want to look it up... :lol:
The diversity antenna system uses both front and back windows with an integral antenna built between the glass layers of the windshield and as an applique to the rear glass. Any damage to the antenna requires replacing the glass.

A diversity antenna system is designed to deliver the best radio signal reception possible. Two antennas are used to form a diversity system. The primary antenna is part of the rear window and looks similar to the defogger grid. This antenna receives both AM and FM signals. The secondary antenna is part of the front windshield and receives only FM signals.

The antenna reception signals are sorted out by the radio antenna module. The radio antenna module is enabled when the radio is turned on. When the AM or FM band is selected on the radio, the antenna module connects the rear window antenna directly to the radio. In addition, when the FM band is selected an enable signal is sent to the antenna module. Superimposed on this enable signal is the strength of the signal being received by the radio tuner. The antenna module now performs 2 functions. It switches between the front and rear antennas, monitoring the radio signal strength and combines both signals and phase aligns them to create 1 strong signal.

Oh and on a side note, whenever I go up there I always make sure the antenna module has power and ground. There is a small 3 wire connection on there that has power, ground, and a data wire. A fuse can blow if that power wire gets shorted on its way to the module ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts