Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ATS 2014 A/W Premium A/W 2.0T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to answer a text from my phone on the CUE system and did not know the voice commands. The system read my incoming text message and asked for a reply and I gave a response and nothing happened. Was there a wait or command to start text and then end and send or something like that. I looked in the manual and did not see much in the way of answering a text. Anyone know how it works?:confused:

·
Registered
ATS 2014 A/W Premium A/W 2.0T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2014 premium AWD. My phone is a Nokia using windows 8.1. My CUE started reading my text when I got this phone and started asking for a reply the other day after I re-paired it with my car. The car is from January of 2014 and has not been given any CUE updates as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,637 Posts
I was trying to answer a text from my phone on the CUE system and did not know the voice commands. The system read my incoming text message and asked for a reply and I gave a response and nothing happened. Was there a wait or command to start text and then end and send or something like that. I looked in the manual and did not see much in the way of answering a text. Anyone know how it works?:confused:
I guess it depends on how smart of a phone you have. You didn't mention the model. In my case, the phone has CUE pause (if the source is pausable) or mute what's playing (if anything), then announces who the text is from and asks if I want it read. Then the phone listens with the car's microphone for my response. After reading the text over the car's speakers, the phone asks if I want to respond or not. If I do, I dictate the response and the phone reads it back and asks if I want to send, cancel, do over or add to. So basically there are no buttons in the car involved, nor are there any voice commands to the car at all. Its all a conversation between me and the phone using the car's speakers and microphones. It's a bad design if a car/phone combination requires the car to get involved beyond allowing the phone access to the microphone/speakers over blue-tooth.

----------

I see you mentioned the phone in a later post I hadn't read before I answered.

I can't tell from your second post if the problem is still happening. If it still is, its possible there was an update to the phone software/drivers for blue-tooth and CUE is confused. Most WPs default to silent background updates of some components. I had an update many months ago that broke some of the blue-tooth interaction to the car while most still worked. Neither the car or the phone complained. So I unpaired the phone from the car and re-paired it. That didn't fix the problem. So I unpaired he phone from the car again and this time also deleted CUE from the phone's list of blue-tooth connections. Then when I re-paired the phone everything was working again. My theory is that the blue-tooth software was updated in the phone and when the phone tried to use an updated blue-tooth profile, CUE saw the change but didn't know how to deal with it (i.e. CUE can't handle changes to an existing connection). At the same time the phone said to itself CUE is acting weird so I'm going to stop trying to do what isn't working anymore. Make each forget the other (at the same time) and all is well.

·
Registered
Had 1995 Eldorado, Had 2001 DHS, Had 2005 STS, Had 2013 ATS, Have 2016 CTS Premium
62 Posts
Hello All,
I went thru this with my 2013 ATS and after "much" research I found out that the "only" phones that allow you to do this thru the car via bluetooth are Windows Phones. No iPhones, No Android Phones. This is "not" a function of the car, it is an operating limitation put inplace by Apple or Google. I found this out the hard way when I switched from a Nokia 1020 Windows phone to a OnePlus One Android phone. It drove me crazy to have one of the best smartphones on the market and it would not do this. Then I did my research and found out that Android phones use to do this but Google basically "removed" this from their operating system back in July of 2012. Apple has "never" allowed this function on their phones.
I go back to a Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows phone and guess what, yup, texting thru the car via bluetooth is fully functional. I don't understand why Apple or Google won't do this, my assumption would be some legallity that they are concerned with.

Also, yes, sometimes when updates push thru the phone you may experience some bluetooth functionality issues. This can be easily resolved by "unpairing" and "deleting" the phone from the Cue system and then repairing them.

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
I found this out the hard way when I switched from a Nokia 1020 Windows phone to a OnePlus One Android phone. It drove me crazy to have one of the best smartphones on the market and it would not do this. Then I did my research and found out that Android phones use to do this but Google basically "removed" this from their operating system back in July of 2012. Apple has "never" allowed this function on their phones.
Apple's and Google's reasons for leaving out this functionality (which is putting it nicely, since they actually went out of their way to prevent it) is so they can make money selling software to the car makers to add it (and other capabilities) back in. If there was an Apple or Android phone with better specs or that I liked better than my Lumia 1520, I would be annoyed.

·
Registered
'15 ATS Coupe Lux
93 Posts
wonder if an app like this would work?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=robj.readit.tomefree&hl=en

Voice Reply - PRO FEATURE
ReadItToMe Pro also has voice reply for sms messages so you can reply to or call that contact using your voice, completely hands free. Not only that but ReadItToMe Pro allows you to record your own commands for much better voice recognition."

"Automatic
Unlike other applications ReadItToMe can be set to run automatically when you connect to a bluetooth device or you plug in your headphones, as well as over the speakerphone. You don't need to manually turn it on and off.

or this one: text by voice. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonalight

here is a review:
http://www.cnet.com/news/a-better-android-app-for-hands-free-text-messaging/

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
I don't know about that particular app but I have heard people were able to fix Android with an app.

The reviews and change log for that one are a little scary and the linked review says you probably want to have the phone on a charger because the app will eat battery since it is always listening. Plus it appears to use the phone's microphone and speaker instead of the car's because it says on some phones it doesn't work as well because of a poor microphone in the phone and it says it is always listening but I don't think the bluetooth profile allows the phone to constantly eavesdrop on the car's microphone plus I don't think the car's voice microphone is even active until you push the speech button on the steering wheel.

With the native OS support in Windows Phone, incoming texts/calls are completely voice controlled but for outgoing texts you press the car's speech button and call Cortana and then tell her to text <contact's name>.

Of course if an Android app can actually constantly eavesdrop on the car's microphone, the NSA code in the app will eat even more battery. LoL

·
Registered
Had 1995 Eldorado, Had 2001 DHS, Had 2005 STS, Had 2013 ATS, Have 2016 CTS Premium
62 Posts

I tried and not really. Like the other poster stated it reads them using the phones speaker not the car.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to get around this. From what I have read the functionality has been removed from the bluetooth stack. To better understand what that means we can compare it to installing a new piece of hardware in a computer, your computer needs a driver to tell it what it can do with the hardware and how. That bluetooth stack is the same thing as the driver, so they just left the part out on how to text thru bluetooth.

And I care about this function very much because most of my staff communicates with me via text.

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
This doesn't bother me. After all, it's just a text message. It can wait until a red light or when I get to my destination.
Yep, lots of people don't need to get or make calls or texts while driving.

----------

I tried and not really. Like the other poster stated it reads them using the phones speaker not the car.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to get around this. From what I have read the functionality has been removed from the bluetooth stack. To better understand what that means we can compare it to installing a new piece of hardware in a computer, your computer needs a driver to tell it what it can do with the hardware and how. That bluetooth stack is the same thing as the driver, so they just left the part out on how to text thru bluetooth.

And I care about this function very much because most of my staff communicates with me via text.
Clearly getting and sending texts is important to some people and a VERY desirable ability for a lot of people, probably the vast majority.

You're right that the ability was crippled on purpose in Android and iOS. I believe one reason was to increase the odds Apple or Google would be able get car makers to buy software from them that runs in the car or at least spend time and money to develop their own software, the latter being like the shelf space game. The more resources (or shelf space) consumed by one product is that much less available for the competition. Either way, getting the car maker to buy from a company or used to making changes to accommodate them the worse it is for whoever your competition is. The more market share a company has the WORSE it is for consumers, including their own customers because harming the competition becomes more profitable than improving things for your customers. Like I said, if it wasn't for the fact there was something significantly superior to Apple or Android, I would be very very annoyed. But I still have empathy for the vast majority of their customers. Clearly any particular product will be the best for some people but the majority never end up with what's best for them and never know it. Not that most suffer since they are acceptable. Think of it like someone who never knew there was any flavor of ice cream except vanilla. They don't know what they are missing. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts