Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys-

I searched the forum on tires for this winter, and it seems that you guys like the Avon Tech M550 A/S's and the Continental ContiExtreme Contact's. I went on tirerack.com and checked their survey results and both of these tires were rated the highest both in dry/wet/snow/ice results for the all season all-around "ultra high performance" all season tires.

Well, I have a new V and winter is rapidly approaching and with the high cost of another set of separate wheels with their own winter mounts, I think I'm going to give the "all season" tire a try and run them year round. Is this a mistake? I don't take my car to the track nor try to squeeze every last hundreth of a lateral G around the curves, but I do want a good performance tire.

Now you guys seem to hate the F1's, so I have no problem getting rid of them now. But if I were to buy, say, the Continental ConiExtreme Contact "all season" tires and run them all year, am I going to lose much summer "performance" (i.e. braking and handling) vs. the F1 IF for all intents and purposes, I'm not taking my V to the track to extract max performance?

Questions:

1) Will a regular guy like me that drives his V as his regular every day car with occasional high-spirited driving really notice the performance difference between the F1's and the ConiExtremes all season tires?

2) How does the tire pressure sensor system work with regular tires? Will I still be able to see each tire's pressure on the display if not using run flats?

3) Is it possible to fit some sort of spare in the trunk UNDER the trunk where a spare normally goes? I see there's an indentation for one but it's raised in the middle so the wheel of the tire wouldn't be able to sit flat.

Thanks guys for you opinions.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
I had the Conti Extreemes on my Audi Quattro and they ROCK in the winter. They are not very good dry tires though. Aside from what some Vpilots think of the F1s, they happen to be amazingly grippy and the stiff sidewalls do aid turn-in. The Contis are much softer on the sidewall, so you'll lose some turn-in...it'll feel as if the car hesitates a bit before turning. Second, the grip is not what I'd call great. They're good all-season tires, and if you're not autoxing or tracking your car, and will handle anything you'd probably encounter weather-wise.

There is a compromise you need to consider, sounds like you already have, that all-seasons are not the greatest gripping tires around. For normal everyday driving, and a little spirited runs, they should work great. I'd assume that the Avons or Kumho ASXs would handle dry/wet handling better than the Contis due to greater surface area of rubber. The Contis are "extreme" all-season tires, look at the tread...very similar to a truck tire...awesome in the snow. The other offerings are probably not as good in the snow, but better in the dry. Its your choice.

The sensors will work fine with non-runflats.

You can remove the bin and store a spare in the well.

-ace

·
Registered
895 Posts
Depends on where you live and how much white stuff you see. We can get a snow storm in Utah from around Oct to May even in the valley so I went with the Avon A/S. They don't have as much grip as the F1s in the dry but they have A LOT better grip in the wet (I wouldn't attempt driving with F1s in any snow). The ride is also 1000 times better, twice as much life (or more) and have 95% of the performance (not good for track driving).

Yes, the TPS work fine with regular tires. Buy an extra one for your spare which fits perfectly upside down in the trunk. Dreaming had a real good thread about buying the jack and stuff for it. Once you get the tub out (it doesn't require much strength at all and maybe weighs 20 lbs. The extra weight is maybe 40lbs (which can't hurt during the winter).

I spent around $1200 for 5 Avons, spare rim and accessories which is still cheaper than 4 run craps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave's V said:
Yes, the TPS work fine with regular tires. Buy an extra one for your spare which fits perfectly upside down in the trunk. Dreaming had a real good thread about buying the jack and stuff for it. Once you get the tub out (it doesn't require much strength at all and maybe weighs 20 lbs. The extra weight is maybe 40lbs (which can't hurt during the winter).

I spent around $1200 for 5 Avons, spare rim and accessories which is still cheaper than 4 run craps.
I can't seem to find the thread about buying the jack and stuff for the spare. Can one of you guys reccommend a good jack that will fit in the trunk well with the spare? And what are you guys doing for the spare? Are you guys buying one of those tirerack.com millie wheels with the tire mounted on it or is there a cheaper option?

·
Registered
CTS-V
238 Posts
ualdriver said:
I can't seem to find the thread about buying the jack and stuff for the spare. Can one of you guys reccommend a good jack that will fit in the trunk well with the spare? And what are you guys doing for the spare? Are you guys buying one of those tirerack.com millie wheels with the tire mounted on it or is there a cheaper option?
From the HOT TOPICs sticky, here's the thread on the jack and misc parts (including part #s) for using a full size spare in the tire well:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51372

Pics no longer seem to work, but the description & part #s are useful...

Brian R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think I'm going to order the jack/misc. parts and give it a try. I sent Dreamin' a private message in the hopes that he can either e-mail me the pictures that no longer work or repost them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts