Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another tail light thread, so my apologies.

Today I took off my passenger side tail light because it is a lot dimmer than the driver side light. All it needed was a good cleaning out (the seal was missing, allowing for dust to accumulate).

Well, I got that taken care of, everything put back together properly, with the help of my dad, so I know it was done intelligently.

Now... Well all the lights are out... They don't flash, they don't light when you turn on the lights... It's worth noting that we spent a long while trying to get them all to stay on... Twisting them 'just so' seemed to get them to work, but now they're dead.

No involved fuses are blown... Any suggestions? Thanks, guys...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,101 Posts
Look down in the fenderwell/trunk side well just forward of the light assembly pigtail harness. There's a ground block bolted to the body. Pull that, check the wires, and clean everything before bolting it back in. Shoot the bolt/nut with WD40 to coat it against rusting. Is the light assembly harness connector OK ??

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Sub.

As far as we can tell, the harness itself is fine. The connectors look brand new.

I did forget to mention this though. Might be the obvious cause now that I think about it though... The lights themselves worked fine until we had taken the bulbs out of the sockets and put them back in. Now, there was a LOT of grease on the ends of those bulbs and in the whole socket area. Further, we took one bulb out from the driver side assembly, and now I see that one isn't working either.

Does all that grease need to be removed from the socket because it's causing blockage? Or do you think it's something else?

If not, we'll pull the ground fault and check it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Resolved!

Yeah... It was the grease. Cleaned all of it out of the non-working sockets and, lo and behold, they worked!

Like I said, it was probably really obvious... I guess I just needed a sounding board here to get me to think. Thanks again, Submariner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts