Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon, 2013 Escalade
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 wagon.. Do our V"s have an electric fuel pump ??

Whats that noise that you hear just before starting the car ??

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts

* Yes

* I'm 51 and eat a lot of beans so.......

j/k What kind of noise? Coming from where?

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon, 2013 Escalade
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when turning key to position just before starting position i hear an electrical type noise coming from under hood. sounds like a fuel pump going on. if u don't start the car the noise goes off after a couple of seconds. I know hat is what electric fuel pumps usally do but did not think our V,s had electronic fuel pumps...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I haven't seen (or heard) of a mechanical fuel pump since my 1979 MGB. I used to have to hit that thing with a rubber mallet to get it to work! God Bless Lucas, God of Darkness!

Actually, now that I think of it, that was electrical. Mechanical would have been better because it was made by Lucas. So now I have to go back to my 1966 Century Resorter 17 boat with a Ford 352 FE engine. Now that POS fuel pump WAS mechanical. I had to pump that freakin' throttle and pray fuel got into the engine before my battery died. I just updated that engine (over $20,000) and, yes, I did spend the money on an electric fuel pump.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Your V's fuel pump is located inside the tank, so that can't be the sound you are hearing from under the hood. Not sure what the cause/source of the sound you're hearing may be. I doubt anything is wrong though. Try to locate the sound by having someone sit in the car and turn the key as you listen with the hood open.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
If you're sitting in the car it may seem like it's under the hood but what you're describing sounds like the pump priming up. And yes, it's in the tank.

·
Registered
2012 cts v
16 Posts

With me that noise is usually my wife asking where the hell am I going now! And then pleading for me to be careful!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Mechanical fuel pumps pretty much disappeared along with carburetors. EFI engines need stable high pressure, in order to start and in order to run.

Carburetors, being little more than an "organized leak" at the end of a fuel line......didn't have such a requirement.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I can only speak for myself. *Voice in my head saying trying not to speed over and over again* Never works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts