Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been rattling my brain with a new concept for a stock air box mod idea.
So basically I want to put an after market high flow dry air filter in the stock air box.
Microphone Font Audio equipment Synthetic rubber Automotive tire

Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
The factory airbox already flows more air than a stock engine needs.
Are you looking for more noise?

Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
Useless exercise in spending hyped money. - of course, it looks trick - so that's good for 1.52 hp at idle, especially with the supplied sticker on the left rear quarter window.

As posted, the stock air filter flows more air than the engine or existing ducting system can use. (and probably traps more smaller micron "dirt" in the process)

Your call, your money, your opinion.

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did the simple air box mod, then I just searched for a OE shape performance dry media air filter, found one and ordered it. Will update after it gets here and I install it.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

Rectangle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Font

Registered
96 FWB
Without a lab-certified micron filtrate spec the only 'performance' outcome of one of those flattened out cone filters will be to allow larger and a greater amount of contaminants into the combustion chambers of the engine.

Cliffs: Best to steer to a known tested good quality brand oem regular cartridge filter. Better air filtering quality air filtering. And just conjecturing it won't cost ANYWHERE near $65.

Administrator
$65 for a panel air filter is pure unadulterated highway robbery.

A bunch of hp? How about zero.

There is no way that cutting holes in the already free-flowing CAI factory setup will "deepen the (exhaust) note".

As with all other performance modification attempts, before and after dyno runs or timeslips are the only way to tell if you have accomplished anything - or have actually hurt performance.

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
$65!!!???

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
Waste of both time and money.

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited by Moderator)
$65!!!???
It was the cheapest one I could find.
It鈥檚 a dry media performance filter. So no oil gumming up the MAF sensor.

Without a lab-certified micron filtrate spec the only 'performance' outcome of one of those flattened out cone filters will be to allow larger and a greater amount of contaminants into the combustion chambers of the engine.

Cliffs: Best to steer to a known tested good quality brand oem regular cartridge filter. Better air filtering quality air filtering. And just conjecturing it won't cost ANYWHERE near $65.
Did my research already on this product, it is a reputable company based in California.

I sa
$65 for a panel air filter is pure unadulterated highway robbery.

A bunch of hp? How about zero.

There is no way that cutting holes in the already free-flowing CAI factory setup will "deepen the (exhaust) note".

As with all other performance modification attempts, before and after dyno runs or timeslips are the only way to tell if you have accomplished anything - or have actually hurt performance.
i said it wouldn鈥檛 add a bunch of hp. And I didn鈥檛 say it would be a dramatic change in exhaust note.

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
of course but I just wanted to see his answer
Is this a forum to help people or one to try and make fun of someone that doesn鈥檛 know as much as the next guy?
I鈥檓 not a master mechanic but I鈥檓 not a dumbass either.

Administrator
No one is making fun of anyone. We're trying to advise you how to keep the car clean and well-maintained without throwing unnecessary money at it - or unnecessarily butchering the already-adequate stock airbox - which is the same one used on the 556 hp supercharged -V version. That $65 air filter is a total waste of money.

We've all been there, done that. Just passing down knowledge and experience - been wrenching and building since my first car in 1954.

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6di LLT
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No one is making fun of anyone. We're trying to advise you how to keep the car clean and well-maintained without throwing unnecessary money at it - or unnecessarily butchering the already-adequate stock airbox - which is the same one used on the 556 hp supercharged -V version. That $65 air filter is a total waste of money.

We've all been there, done that. Just passing down knowledge and experience - been wrenching and building since my first car in 1954.
It鈥檚 washable and reusable lol at the very least

Administrator
Why wash - and push dirt through the media - when you can simply remove a $7.00 filter and throw it away at 20,000 miles. That gives you over 150,000 miles of perfectly good air filters for your $65 + shipping.

Registered
96 FWB
(1.) So I have been rattling my brain with a new concept for a stock air box mod idea.
So basically I want to put an after market high flow dry air filter in the stock air box.
(2.) Is this a forum to help people or one to try and make fun of someone that doesn鈥檛 know as much as the next guy?
(3.) I鈥檓 not a master mechanic but I鈥檓 not a dumbass either.
So, True-,
3 things.
1. The concept of quote, "putting an after market high flow dry air filter in the stock air box" is nothing new.
2. Nobody is making fun of you. --> BUT <--, no fewer than 6 fellas have provided 12 posts with multiple and repeatedly credible explanations for a straightforward 'Just Don't Do It'. This is compared to your 1/3 of all total posts insisting on, "Yab-but."
3. Nobody is calling you a dumbass, but it doesn't take a master mechanic either to gauge that you're simply hunting validation to treat your ride to an expensive shiny new object stuck under the hood.

You've been given mathematically quantified and documented reasons why it'll not only not do anything for improved operating performance for your particular model car, but that it'll actually promote degraded operating life from increased wear. But we all do aimless stuff to personalize and distinguish our rigs. So, if you want to stick a fancy filter in the airbox to make a more manly grumbly noise, then 'Just Do It'. But do it for that reason, simple as that eh.

Reactions: WILLY92
1 - 20 of 41 Posts