Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I was at school last night and went to leave....turned the key, and nothing. Radio comes on, lights come on, 12v at the battery.

I listen for the fuel pump - Good
Swap the starter relay with another one - Good

I didn't have a hammer or anything to smack the starter...plus it was 9pm and snowing.

2 strangers came over and gave me a hand...they pushed me down a hill so I could pop the clutch and start it....that worked.

After looking through all the threads on it, it seems its a common issue...most likely heat related.

It seems like alot of guys use an ACDelco replacement....but has anyone used a MSD unit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5096/Application/?prefilter=1

I would wrap it in heatwrap, along with the single pin connector.

Anyone have anything bad to say about these starters? It's probably about the same price as an ACDelco one from the dealer. Atleast witht the MSD unit, you can replace the solenoid and the gear

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
108 Posts
I recently had starter issues myself. The dealer wants a ridiculous amount of money for the starter so I went the cheap route. A starter is a starter is a starter. I don't know if the MSD one will fit correctly, it looks like it's a little too big where the solenoid starts. I bought a regular off the shelf starter for a 2002 Camaro from pep boys, paid about 160 for it after core and could not be happier to have saved the money. You have to modify the power cable on the V to a ring terminal in order to connect to the LSx starter but it's cake to do and much better in design IMHO. I used my old bolts because one of them has to be short and threw that sucker in there. It's only used to start the car so I figured why spend money on this? rebuilt starter works just the same.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The good thing about the MSD unit is, it's rotatable. I can turn it anyway I want. It's rebuildable, and have enough umph to start the car no matter what.

Yea, it is only used to start the car, but after being stranded over an hour away from home, at school, in the snow, at 9pm, BECAUSE of the starter...I'll gladly pay the extra money for a better performing unit.

·
Registered
None
447 Posts
I was one of the recent vistims of this and it was the starter cable/connector that fried and ruined the solenoid. Rather than have a new start put in I had them replace the solenoid and cable for $200 including labor and a tow. No issues since then.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I get done changing axles on my beater car I will put it on the lift and take a look. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Only 55k miles on my car....shouldn't have starters mnot working, along with bulbs and ballasts going out

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
My starter went out around 35k miles or less. The dealer put a new one in under warranty but didn't replace the burnt broken looking connector. I'm guessing it will cause the starter to fail again soon... so they'll have to replace and pay for tow again. Pfff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts