Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2 5M
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to walk a quarter mile with a 24 case of beer because my car refuses to climb any moderate grade of hill with a millimeter of snow on it. Its surprising the thing still has clutch life left.

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
snow mode and winter tires?
i drove the first 4 weeks of winter with near bald summer tires and it was slippery but do-able. a mm of snow should have been pretty easy as long as you werent just hammering the throttle.

edit.. just saw you have the 5spd man. you could have skipped 2nd and tried the hill in 3rd to keep torque (and therefore wheel spin) to a minimum. same idea as the winter mode or the 2006+ trip tronic automatics.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2 5M
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I experimented with this a few times but maybe i should try a few more "tricks". What is snow mode?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Depending on the tires you got, that should be the deciding factor. I went up a pretty decent hill with about 2-4 inches of snow without much issue on my Continental DWS tires.

If its manual, try in 3rd. If its auto, press the snow mode button. if you don't got snow mode, and got tiptronic, put it in 3rd.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
I have no issues at all in snow in my 04. A nice set of Cooper CS4 Touring's and winter mode is all I need, the 160lbs. of salt in the trunk helps too....Just had a 10" snowfall last weekend, got around just fine. Turn off that T/C and it's a whole different story, can you say fish tail?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
With the manual tranny u should have been able to get around better, I was lookin at a cheap 03 with a manual online but never went to see it. I wanted to get rid of my truck for it, but I think my 4x4 may b needed in the bush this summer.
Try filling yer tank to the top for added weight, also toss a bag of salt in the trunk.

·
Registered
2003 cts
11 Posts
I would think manual would be better being able to play with the rpm I got an 03 automatic with bald summer tires and it hard to get grip at first but I managed good so far and it's been pretty bad in Ontario

1 - 8 of 8 Posts