Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why all of a sudden does it seem like someone's paying so much attention to V1 issues now? Wonder if a an exec. picked one up for their snot-nosed kid and has come to the realization that there really are some serious issues with these things...

Caught wind of this on the FB page, so checked GM's recall site with my VIN and sure enough, it's there. Looks like she'll be back in the shop after just getting the fuel pump done a week ago.
It's all well and good that they've released this, but why the hell not include the rear lines that are also well known to do exactly what they're describing here?!

GM Recall #:
N150149

NHTSA Recall #:
15V225

Date Issued:
Apr 15, 2015

Recall Title:

Front Brake Hose

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004-2007 model year Cadillac CTS-V vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin; New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec; and originally sold in the Netherlands. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the front brake hose fitting at the caliper may corrode due to snow or water, containing road salt or other contaminants, entering and being retained in the hose sleeve. If the fitting corrodes significantly, the brake hose may develop a leak. A sign of a brake hose leak would be fluid spotting on the ground.

Safety Risk Description:

If enough fluid were lost, the brake system warning light and a

Repair Description:

Dealers are to replace both front brake hose assemblies free of charge.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if the replacement lines from GM will be stainless...
Also wonder if the dealership who does the work will replace any fluid they bleed out/lose with the same fluid you've got in there (Amsoil, RP, etc)...
Lastly, I wonder if we can make enough noise to get the REAR lines added to this recall too... Ridiculous they they aren't included.

·
Registered
2005 Black Raven CTS-V
44 Posts
Seems like I should wait until all the recalls come out and then bring in my car once to get it done.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
58 Posts
I bought new lines a few months ago but haven't installed them yet. Wish this came out earlier; but still pleased to see it. Was just talking to my mechanic last week about the original CTS recall and how the Vs weren't included.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought new lines a few months ago but haven't installed them yet. Wish this came out earlier; but still pleased to see it. Was just talking to my mechanic last week about the original CTS recall and how the Vs weren't included.
If it's like the fuel pump recall, GM will likely reimburse anyone who's replaced these parts prior to the recall issuance. Remember, it's just a portion of the FRONT lines though. They're not going to refund you for an entire stainless kit.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
58 Posts
If it's like the fuel pump recall, GM will likely reimburse anyone who's replaced these parts prior to the recall issuance. Remember, it's just a portion of the FRONT lines though. They're not going to refund you for an entire stainless kit.
I actually got the AC-Delco rubber lines, just the fronts. I think the rear ones don't have the same design with a rubber part around steel where the corrosion on the front ones happen. I initially wanted to get SS but changed my mind.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually got the AC-Delco rubber lines, just the fronts. I think the rear ones don't have the same design with a rubber part around steel where the corrosion on the front ones happen. I initially wanted to get SS but changed my mind.
I'd imagine they'll reimburse you the $50 or so that you paid for the Delco lines then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
GM finally got a female CEO. Is anybody still running non-stainless steal brake lines?
Sadly...I have not done this Mod...yet. Do you have the web link for the SS lines? I assume Galfer or Russell...? Thanks for spending my money Michael...LOL

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Sadly...I have not done this Mod...yet. Do you have the web link for the SS lines? I assume Galfer or Russell...? Thanks for spending my money Michael...LOL
Luke at Lindsay Cadillac sells (or used to sell?) UUC stainless steel lines. Otherwise there is Goodridge ( http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=CTS-V&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=) See also http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/235439-goodridge-stainless-steel-brake-line-installation.html

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
So those of us who had the foresight to replace our hoses with stainless steel lines before this recall should get reimbursed ?

I know I did it purely for safety reasons (7 years ago) . How about the rest of you ?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So those of us who had the foresight to replace our hoses with stainless steel lines before this recall should get reimbursed ?

I know I did it purely for safety reasons (7 years ago) . How about the rest of you ?
You're not reading what I said, or being reasonable. GM will, in all likelihood, reimburse the cost of the replacement lines (whatever they might choose). I highly doubt they're going to be replacing the old lines with stainless lines, so you're probably looking at an updated design of what we have now; which appear to be worth about $50 for the front.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,105 Posts
Interesting. I did stainless braided years ago. What happens if I bring the car in for the fuel pump recall and they, out of the goodness of their little hearts, elect to perform the brake hose recall? I know parts are not available currently, but they will eventually be...

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting. I did stainless braided years ago. What happens if I bring the car in for the fuel pump recall and they, out of the goodness of their little hearts, elect to perform the brake hose recall? I know parts are not available currently, but they will eventually be...
What are you trying to say? That a Tech would go in there without your permission and replace your stainless lines with OEM rubber?? lol I'd hope that would never happen.

·
Registered
2004 Raven cts-v
44 Posts
Got my brakeline recall notice.my line failed just before i put my vee away in fall 13.replaced with SS and dot 4.i have until the end of may to submit reciepts to the dealership for re-embursement.id rather have another coloscopy than bring my car to the dealership again.

·
Registered
2005 Red CTS-V and a Silver 2005 CTS-V
75 Posts
Got the brake lines replaced along with the fuel pump, PCM reflash and key recall at Sam Swope Cadillac two weeks ago. Had the brake lines done in 30 minutes, but mine is only driven in the summer. Very easy on my car.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Horrible experience

Never got notice of the brake line recall or the fuel pump. But they keep sending me the annoying key recall.

Driving on the highway last week, get on the brake, PEDAL GOES TO THE FLOOR! Lucky there wasn't many cars on the road and I was able to maneuver until I could get the car slowed down. Passenger line just snapped. No leak or any warning, just broke and let out all fluid. Dropped it off at the dealer Monday evening. Called Tuesday and was told tomorrow. Called Wednesday to get an attitude and was told "90% it'll be done tomorrow". Got a call Friday morning and was told I need all four calipers replaced along with the master cylinder, $2300. My hands start to shake! He had a very hard time explaining to me why, all of a sudden, my brakes are completely shot. I hung up and called Cadillac customer service to open a complaint. They were very nice and actually listened to what I had to say. Unfortunately the process takes two business days, so I'm out of luck until Tuesday.

Called the service consultant back and left a voicemail asking him to call me. He never returned my call. I rushed to the dealer after work to see the car and get some real answers. My nerves are just about shot by this point.
They take me to the car, it now has a spongy pedal but recall was done and she's holding fluid. I'm talking to the service consultant and a tech. Now they're telling me the bleed screws are stuck. I highly doubt that ALL EIGHT screws are stuck. So we start talking about the master cylinder. "It's no good". "WHY IS IT NO GOOD!" They tell me it has low pressure. How the **** can they determine low pressure when the lines are full of air?!! Now he tells me when it lost fluid and got air inside, this ruins master cylinders. Have they never heard of bench bleeding? I'm sure they thought I no nothing about cars and are simply trying to get money out of me for work not needed.

Sorry for the winded post. Had to vent :mad2:

PS Don't go to City Cadillac In L.I.C NY

1 - 20 of 22 Posts