Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clever Canadians at Magna International figured out a way to turn your rear windshield into a subwoofer.

This goes far beyond the levels of ride-pimping that even Xibit and MTV ever imagined.

"It is a whole new way to generate sound in a car," Greg Rizzo of Magna told the Detroit News. "There are still tweeters up front, but the glass replaces a big subwoofer in the trunk."

The setup uses exciters which are attached at the base of the rear window. Thanks to a 200 volt amplifier, they make enough power to vibrate the whole window - effectively turning it into a giant speaker. The only change necessary is a special sealant which allows the window to vibrate without shaking itself loose.

Apparently it sounds amazing, but you'll have to wait until at least 2015 before it could potentially begin to appear in production cars.

(The Detroit News)

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I don't think car manufacturers have even adopted enclosed subwoofers. I doubt they are going to embrace this.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
so they are stealing this technology and attaching it to glass....
http://www.mightydwarf.com/

btw, these thing PUMP...they turn anything you sit them on into a speaker. different surfaces have different bass tones, bigger is usually louder, but depends on what it is.
i want 1 but i dont think its really worth $90

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I havent heard one, but i have a hard time believing a core sitting on your dining room table is going to match the spectrum and fidelity of a tuned and ported speaker cabinet.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I havent heard one, but i have a hard time believing a core sitting on your dining room table is going to match the spectrum and fidelity of a tuned and ported speaker cabinet.
im not saying its good quality sound, but its really loud and didnt sound bad at all.
i think its ment to be marketed as portable, more for ipod people....

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's only meant to be a sub-woofer.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
well come on, they do have their own subculture :D
LoL...yup, they even have watches and their own TV system/service now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts