Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellows, I have read all the threads about this increasing problem. Is there an easy way to get this rubber coating off? Rubbing with fingers and thumbs are blistering. The post about preasure washing them sounds good if you have the time to remove console and wash. Anyone try paint thinner, rubbing alcohol etc....

Please save my and others blistering problems.
Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had TWO '03 cadillacs, with the key component being 'lacs'. Escalade was the worse, more so than the EXT. But both had same issues. Even repainted the console TWICE. Had the factory reps in, evaluated. However, in some areas, it will never peal. Other areas the coating falls off when you look at it. Don't sweat it. Try to ignore the fact you paid $65,000+ for a car that has a peeling console. (Aren't you glad our government bailed them out!)

Sorry.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
637 Posts
Our mercedes SLK does the same thing....has done it the entire production run of the car.

It's not just a GM thing.It's a bad idea all around.My corvette did it around the console...My C4 and C5.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade
37 Posts
Just a few words of advice when painting your console. The main reason these piece's peel is because of the mold release agent was still on piece before they had them coated. Now if you plan on painting them make sure you get the mold release off the surface before doing any type of paint work or you will have the same problem.

I have painted many plastic piece's over the years and there is a process that needs to be followed religously.

SEM Soap is the first step to cleaning your parts, it is a special soap designed to rid the surface of the mold release agent. Now and easy way to know if your piece has all the mold release agent off of it is to pay attention to the water, if the surface still has water droplets on it then you need to wash again, but if the water sheets off the surface, then the mold release agent is gone. Then dry and proceed to next step. Plastic Adhesion Promoter is the next step. Bulldog Adhesion promoter is the one I use. You can buy any name brand you like, which can be found at just about any parts store, but I have only used Bulldog.

Now I have heard over the years how many people say adhesion promoter doesn't work, but I have had no problems in the process. But I make one change to the application of the product as instructed on the cans label.

I DO NOT let the adhesion promoter dry, before applying paint. I do this because I feel the paint can grab the promoter as it dries and they kind of fuse together as they dry. That is just my way of thinking and it has worked for over 25 years in the business.

Well hope this info helps you in painting your dash piece's or any other type of plastic surface.

It sound easy here, but I did have a piece that I washed like 10 times to get the mold release off.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bigdaddy nice write up and thank you for sharing your knowledge. My console has the shale color underneath the rubberized (peeling) top coat (so I do not have to paint the console). I have read through the many threads about rubbing the rubber coating off with fingers and hands, one guy even removed his console and preasure washed it. Trust me I do not have girlie hands, I am however getting blisters on my hands by rubbing.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade EXT
64 Posts
Also have this problem and can't believe that GM came with one of the more expensive cars in the country with such sh*ty quality components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts