Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just want to introduce myself. I am the proud owner of a new to me 2000 STS that I've been dreaming about for at least seven years. It's midnight blue and reflects one of my other passions: Sky-Watching. Hope to talk with you all soon.......Jim:banana:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Welcome, You will probably fit right in here! This place can sometimes be out of this world!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jim! And thank you for signing up! I want your car! Have you posted pictures up in our photo section yet? I love the STS...

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sal,

I will post em as soon as I get em....waiting for a nice sunny day to do the car justice

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kevin...thanks......power is addictive and I sure don't want a cure

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JerseyMan,

Check em out ....they're posted

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
As a "sky-watcher" have you ever wondered why Cadillac named their high performance engine after something that doesn't move?
I figured you might have some insight on that ;)

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kevin,

Are you saying that the North Star (currently Polaris) does not move in respect to the earth spinning on it's axis?

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Katshot said:
As a "sky-watcher" have you ever wondered why Cadillac named their high performance engine after something that doesn't move?
I figured you might have some insight on that ;)

depends on your perspective kevin, everything is in motion in the universe to one degree or another

I always thought maybe the name came from shakespeare, whereas Julius Caeser says "I am constant as the northern star", thus the northstar embodying strength and reliability.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Brett said:
depends on your perspective kevin, everything is in motion in the universe to one degree or another

Does the word "relativity" cross your mind?

I always thought maybe the name came from shakespeare, whereas Julius Caeser says "I am constant as the northern star", thus the northstar embodying strength and reliability.
Yeah, I got that too. I just thought that you COULD look at it the other way too ;)
Just playing around.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since you seem to know a lot about this Kevin, Are you aware that the North Star is not really true north and that it does indeed move with respect to the earth spinning on its axis? In fact in another 13000 years or so, Vega will be the north star and maybe you can tell me what engine we should all be in hot persuit of when that happens?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm NOT buying a VEGA ;)
Yeah I was aware of that. Like I said, I was just playing around.
Generally speaking, the "north star" is considered to be stationary in the sky and was (and is) a favorite navigational aid because of it.

BTW, I want to know why my statement about "relativity" got stuck into Brett's quote?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin,

To get back to the original question of why Cadillac chose the name NorthStar, we first needed to get you to acknowledge that it does indeed move. But; aside from that, GM does seem to be a little bit fascinated with cellestial objects: ONSTAR, NORTHSTAR, SATURN, VEGA, to name a few (I'm sure there are more) I chaulk it up to the space age materials used. The early Northstars had a nylon derivitive intake manifold (I'm not sure if they still do ...are you?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts