Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just got a 1987 Brougham a few months ago for a very specific purpose and am loving every minute of it. I needed a car in
NY and I have no garage (for now) so I have to park the car on the street. I needed a car that I would love and restore
(I used to be a mechanic) once I got a garage again but, for now, it had to be rough on the outside but strong on the
mechanicals and on the inside.

I found it! 1987 Brougham... one owner (old lady), 108,000 miles on the body, though a brand new Olds 350
(replacing the 307) was installed by the dealer 20,000 miles ago after a badly installed water pump cracked the block!

Driven those 20,000 miles in the last 10 years, the interior needed a cleaning but is generally perfect (back seat looks like
no one ever sat in it before, new headliner, all lights work etc.

Body is horrible. Needs paint bad, top is shot, all body fillers are cracked, rust hole in drivers door, weatherstrip is wearing away, antenna
mast broken. Back bumper rusted out. No rust on frame or underneath though. Still no one will mess with this!

Few problems I will fix now:
Antenna, bought a new unit from mastsrus after I kept striking out with junkyards. Need to install.

Radio station and time indicator not working (any tips)? Temp indicator works fine. Radio works fine (the 2
stations I get now haha).

R side mirror loose at body and behind glass. Saw some posts and will try to tighten.

Top has so many cracks, is this ok or should I get a new one to prevent rust?

Need one crest center wheel cap and hubcap removal tool.

Need right side bumper rubber (not guard, just the right front rubber strip)

Will tackle weather strips this summer.

Recline on drivers seat very finicky. Think I will try the electronic cleaning spray Ive seen on other posts.

Rearview mirror flips from between day to night seemingly too often at night (it seems) only for headlights in back of you, though
I think the shop manual said there is a light sensor on the front of the mirror too, maybe this is a malfunction but also,
it gets stuck switching from day to night and back and you have to tap it to finish its shift.

That's it for now. I would love any feedback and am excited about the new car.

-D.C.

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Hey there DC, great to have you on board.
1987 Brougham is a great choice for a first, (I assume?), Cadillac!

Also sounds like a good plan running it and getting little kinks out while rough.
In keeping with your plan, I would recommend masking off and painting your top. Instead of putting a new top in harms way outside.
You do not want to wait and drive it as is. The foam pad acts as a great sponge and the cracks that easily let water in are slow to release it with the vinyl to hold it in. This is a bad thing....

Let it dry out good and them seal with a coat of paint. I would probably use spray, but a small roller would give a good result too.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave! It's actually my second Caddy but the first is rarely spoken of...it was a really beat up 1987 Cimmeron lol! As for the top, I am friends with a bunch of body guys so I guess I'll talk to them about painting it. However, if I did just want to get it done, would it fair well outside if I took care of it and conditioned it from time to time (maybe parking it out of the sun, etc.)? I'm meticulous with my other cars and detail them like a pro. I could find some vinyl top stuff... What's your opinion? Thanks again!
-D.C.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Get the vinyl roof replace. Just painting it won't do much for sealing it unless you shoot it with bedliner or something thick and that might not adhere too well to what's there.

The only sensor that tells the mirror to flip is the one that faces the back of the car and yes it will flip a lot especially depending on what sensitivity you have it set at. Getting stuck part way means there's something wrong with it. Just replace it, if you can't find that style one from another Cadillac up till the mid 90s has the same plug and will also work.

That's interesting that the bigger engine was installed. That's a big plus.

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
From Cimarron to a Brougham......my friend, welcome!! All needed artifacts for your ride are still out there. Be patient, and enjoy your Cadillac, its part of YOU.

Cheers

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'll see about pricing out a mirror and match it to the mid-90s and a top replace. The caddy runs like a dream too. As I said, I'm excited. Should I just be looking for a new radio too since the read out doesnt work? Thanks!

-D.C.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Congrats, this is promising to be a good project car . I appreciate your bravery as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts