Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, only had the car a few weeks and have nothing to compare it to (aside from the Camaro)!

Last one promise! :sneaky:

When I'm stationary (so Neutral or Park) and I move the shifter into Drive the transmission doesn't engage smoothly. It kinda pauses as second and then jerks the car a little.
The TH700R4 in my Camaro does this, and it's normal, but I wondered if a Cadillac transmission should engage smoothly?

Also, when driving, say at 40mph and I'm in Drive and I ram my foot to the floor to induce kickdown nothing really happens for a couple of seconds. Then it kicks down and goes. Is that normal? The Camaro kicks down a LOT quicker than that. Hopwever the Daccy seems to kick down almost instantly (and chirp the tyres when shifting) if I do it with the lever in the 3rd or 2nd position. In that position the car kicks down as soon as asked.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Sorry guys, only had the car a few weeks and have nothing to compare it to (aside from the Camaro)!

Last one promise! :sneaky:

When I'm stationary (so Neutral or Park) and I move the shifter into Drive the transmission doesn't engage smoothly. It kinda pauses as second and then jerks the car a little.
The TH700R4 in my Camaro does this, and it's normal, but I wondered if a Cadillac transmission should engage smoothly?

Also, when driving, say at 40mph and I'm in Drive and I ram my foot to the floor to induce kickdown nothing really happens for a couple of seconds. Then it kicks down and goes. Is that normal? The Camaro kicks down a LOT quicker than that. Hopwever the Daccy seems to kick down almost instantly (and chirp the tyres when shifting) if I do it with the lever in the 3rd or 2nd position. In that position the car kicks down as soon as asked.
Sounds normal to me. The Camaro is a sports car. The transmission is supposed to engage quickly and shift smartly and quickly. The Cadillac is a luxury car. It doesn't react as quickly, the shifts are delayed a little longer, and when it shifts, it takes its time compared to the Camaro. When you put the transmission in 2 or 3, the computer will intentionally make harder shifts just like you've noticed. If you're concerned about it, get the transmission fluid drained and refilled, being sure to remove the "hidden" side cover drain plug and clean the pan and magnet. Texaco brand Dexron-III is what they fill it with at the factory. Don't get it flushed. I don't know how it's done in the UK, but here in the US flushing is not a good idea. Also, moving the driver's position to the left side might help... <snicker> :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Some people have noticed rough engagement when shifting into a gear from park. If it feels like it's slamming it into gear, I would suspect an engine mount (the front one in particular) that might be causing the engine and trans to move too much.

As far as hesitating to downshift at 40mph, 1st gear runs out at about 42mph. The car is probably deciding whether or not to down shift into first for a split second and run the car up to redline, or just shift into second gear, and provide more time to run the gear out and continue accelerating. 45mph is somewhat of a dead spot ont hese car, since when you mash the throttle, it puts the car right at the bottom of second gear, so it has to work a little harder to gain rpm's.

If you learn the speeds at which certain gears run out (i.e. 1st/40mph 2nd/80mph...ect) you can use that to your advantage, and get the car into it's powerband quickly and efficiently, no matter what your doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts