Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking a while.. I was originally looking at the CTS and although i grew up on Buicks (My first car was a 72' Riv Boat-tail GS) I didn't pay much attention to grandpas Caddy... I listed my F150 4x4 for sale and had someone offer to trade me a CTS so i looked and was surprised at how much i liked the caddy... I swung in a used car dealership when I spotted what i thought was a CTS but it turned out to be an STS.... after the test drive I was hooked! That was the best, coolest car I ever drove! I have to have one! So I found a gently used 2007 with the N* V8 in very good condition.. with under 100K miles... but the guy selling it sent me this email and I was wondering if this should raise some red flags? I did a carfax on it and it checked out as a two owner and the first owner was for only 5 months as a rental... so the guy selling it has had it ever since. Here's his email:
"I just spent 1K to have a new AC compressor installed. The car makes a somewhat noticeable what I would describe as rattle sound for just a second the first time you crank it up for the day - once it starts up you don't hear it again until the next morning after is has sat for the night. The shop thought it might have been the AC compressor making the noise but after changing that out it still is present - they wrote on the invoice that "timing chain makes a rattling noise - suggest changing oil more frequent". We have always been good about changing the oil on regular schedule so don't think that applies - it sounds to me like once the car starts up and gets oil moving that sound immediately goes away - again it just happens for a second and is not loud but is noticeable. I have the invoice that you can look over if you come by to look at the car. Also the car has a Navigation system but someone removed the CD"
With under 100K miles I can't see the N* V8 having a timing chain issue... He's an older man.. maybe he's picky and they are just trying to appease him?
What do you think? It's listed for about $3000 under KBB/Carfax so maybe he knows it's going bad?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,380 Posts
Changing engine oil more frequently than recommended by the OLM will make no difference in a "timing chain rattle". The engine has 3 timing chains, all tensioned by hydraulic slippers and spring loaded nylon guide shoes. Timing chain rattle in a Northstar is most uncommon.

I'll bet the engine has a cheap oil filter installed and the anti-drainback valve is alllowing some oil to drain out of the pump on overnight layup.

See what an oil change, to the proper Northstar level using a good synthetic (your call), and a WIX oil filter will do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 STS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked around an that seems to be the same thing many people have said... it's the oil filter. I haven't purchased the car but was considering it. I haven't seen many issues with timing chains on the Northstar V8's so I came here to see if anyone else had experiences... the dealer told the seller that he should change the oil more often. From my research it really does sound like the oil filter and good synthetic would fix it. It's a great deal on the car if that is the actual issue!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts