Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, I've got a third coolant leak. First was the lower radiator hose, as Ranger said, I bought a new hose rather than throw parts at it. Second the upper hose went bad (guessing these hoses are just old) and replaced that one as well. But now I'm having another leak. I know where it's coming from, I just want to know what the hose is called, so I can go and buy it to replace it (this one seems like its gonna be hell though).

It's the hose that starts at the top left of the radiator (if you are looking at the car head on) and joins the radiator right BELOW the upper radiator hose. It goes downward, and is really really stiff, unlike the other hoses, seems to have some good pressure. It's also thinner than the upper and lower hoses. Anyone know what it's called? Gotta change it soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, from then on I can't see where it leads, it leads under the engine block on the passengers side. If you look at the radiator standing right in front of it, to the left is the connection between the actual radiator and the upper radiator hose. Right below that connect, there is another "hose" connecting with the radiator, then goes downward and towards the engine block. It looks to be metal at first, then turns into a REALLY stiff rubber maybe. I'll be sure to post a pic ASAP.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably is seeing as how it leads under the block. Think it'll be a hard job?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pictures:

This first photo shows the actual hose that I'm talking about (with the red arrow of course) and where it leads to.

This picture once again shows the hose with the red arrow, while the blue arrow represents the wet area that the coolant has left and where it's leaking to, meaning it must be running along the hose/line.

This is a close up picture of the hose again, with the red arrow, and the green arrow shows the wet part that is ON the hose, hence my theory of it leaking and coolant running along it until it drips, causing the leak.

Anyone know what that hose is called? Ranger? I'm trying to buy it ASAP so I can get working on the replacement of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
As ranger stated that hose has oil in it.. not coolant. If it's running along the bottom I'd think it's your radiator that may be cracked. Do a pressure test on the cooling system. You can get a loaner tool at Autozone or similar place and u get your money back when u return it. the side tanks are known to crack over time. I replaced my radiator tank and also the oil cooler lines but because they were leaking oil not coolant.

I did replace the side tank because it had a crack at the nipple. where it connects to the system. These plastics don't like the heat under the engine compartment.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Earlier when I was leaking coolant I thought it was the tank too (turned out to be a hose), but it wasn't, but I'm going to double check either way. Damn it, I know it's my fault, me and my friends were messing around on the last day of school and he tried to show me up in his 6 banger automatic accord, I just gunned it to 85 and beat him, but after that is when it started to show the "Check Coolant Level" message.

We use to think it was the radiator too (turned out to be the 2nd hose), but it wasn't I'm going to double check, as it is fairly close to the radiator. Anyone ever change the radiators on these things? How hard of a job is it?

Thing is, when I was checking it out, I tried to squeeze that hose in the picture/move it around to see if anymore coolant would leak, sure enough, WAY more came out. So it's something around that area, down at the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
Well, it could just be the "O" ring seal on that line, or the side tank as suggested. Hard to tell from those pics. Gut feeling says it's the side tank.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone changed their own sidetank? Or have they all been done by a mechanic/dealer?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
Side tanks are said to be pretty easy. Just bend the tabs back, R & R the tank and bend the tabs back in place. That said, I have heard others say that a new radiator is not too much more expensive (some with brass tanks). Remember, there is another tank on the other side that is just as old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts