Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check coolant light comes on and I fill with 16 OZ of distilled water and 2 days later same warning show's up.

I don't see any coolant loss on the driveway when I idle the car for a few minutes but I do notice that the coolant resovoir is hot and bubbling when I open the cap. Though the day time temperture here has been over 95 degrees for the last week.

I had the coolant flushed and filled last summer with the DexCool fluid.

If their is not a leak could it be my thermostat is shot?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
Get a test kit that tests for exhaust gases in the coolant. Follow the directions. If it turns yellow or something like that it's positive and you have exhaust gases in the coolant. Or you can have it done at a radiator shop. That means a head gasket is gone.

Keep in mind that it will boil over anytime you remove the cap on a hot engine. By doing so you drop the pressure as well as the boiling point. You also risk scalding yourself. :tisk: Never do that.

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a test kit that tests for exhaust gases in the coolant. Follow the directions. If it turns yellow or something like that it's positive and you have exhaust gases in the coolant. Or you can have it done at a radiator shop. That means a head gasket is gone.

Keep in mind that it will boil over anytime you remove the cap on a hot engine. By doing so you drop the pressure as well as the boiling point. You also risk scalding yourself. :tisk: Never do that.

Hey Ranger,

Found the problem of my coolant loss. Seems like one of the radiator's top mounting bracket's on the passenger side has cracked and coolant is escaping.

It's plastic, can I repair that with some 2 part hi-temp epoxy, or will I have to get a whole new radiator?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
JB Weld might work. I sealed a crack at the purge line nipple on the surge tank with it. If you try that, be sure to scuff it up good with sand paper. That said, the side tank is replaceable, but I have heard others say that for a few dollars more you can get a new radiator online. I think that is the way I would go.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,098 Posts
Epoxies are great "mechanical" repair chemicals......they DON'T melt and repair plastics worth a hoot. If Ranger's fix doesn't work, go for the complete radiator rebuild, and do the whole coolant trick while you're at it......

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
535 Posts
Possible explanations:

As the boiling suspicion may have been explained, another way to test to see if its headgaskets is to crank up the car (when it hasn't been used in the day, i.e. its cold) and open the top on the coolant reservoir to see if it's boiling, this would be false boiling, as the temparature wouldn't be hot enough to cause the bubbles.

2nd) The tanks tend to have hairline cracks and can crack overtime, causing a leak.

3rd) Check top and lower radiator hoses for leakage.

4th) Small little ring on the bottom left of the radiator (facing the car) can become loose and cause a leak, can be tightened to fix the leak.

There may be more, but these are what I've learned of/have experienced.

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all.

A friend told me that Cadillac won't sell you the plastic top tank, but makes you buy the whole radiator.

Would it be worth it to buy a salvaged radiator or should I just pony up the bucks for a new one?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Thanks all.

A friend told me that Cadillac won't sell you the plastic top tank, but makes you buy the whole radiator.

Would it be worth it to buy a salvaged radiator or should I just pony up the bucks for a new one?
Radiator repair and supply shots sell tanks.

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Forget the salvage radiator. You may be buying the same problem. GM does sell the side tanks. Check for radiators online. You should be able to find some very good prices. Try http://www.rockauto.com or http://www.gmotors.com for starters.

Hey Ranger?

My JB Weld McGuyver trick worked for about 1500 miles and now the leak is back. Looks like I'll have to replace the whole radiator.

Question's-

1) Do I need the oil cooler model for my car-'00 Seville SLS?
2) Is that something an average wrench like myself can do?
3) It looks like there are some compression fittings hooked up to the radiator. Will I need a speciaql tool?
4) Any good radiator you can recommend?
5) Are the pellets necessary?

Thanks for any reply's

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,098 Posts
Go to one of the recommended GM online dealers in the Forums. With your VIN, a dealer can cross reference to the proper replacement unit. You can do the swap, but use the FSM and also note that GM TSB's recommend the GM/Bar's tablets (3), crumbled in the lower hose upon refill. There's a lot of disconnecting and connecting involved, and you'll have electrical, air conditioning, coolant, engine oil, and transmission oil connections to deal with. Don't mess up the two cooling fans. And don't have some JiffyLube-type shop do it for you. If you elect a shop replacement, spend the bucks at a dealer so you have the correct parts and fluids as well as someone to fall back on in case of future trouble.

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go to one of the recommended GM online dealers in the Forums. With your VIN, a dealer can cross reference to the proper replacement unit. You can do the swap, but use the FSM and also note that GM TSB's recommend the GM/Bar's tablets (3), crumbled in the lower hose upon refill. There's a lot of disconnecting and connecting involved, and you'll have electrical, air conditioning, coolant, engine oil, and transmission oil connections to deal with. Don't mess up the two cooling fans. And don't have some JiffyLube-type shop do it for you. If you elect a shop replacement, spend the bucks at a dealer so you have the correct parts and fluids as well as someone to fall back on in case of future trouble.

Thanks Sub.

So my model radiator does have the oil cooler?

Also, I have to have my tranny torque converter clutch replaced (engine code 741). If I do that, does that tranny shop have to disconect my radiator when they pull the engine to replace my TCC?

I'm thinking if I could that all at one time it might be better.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Escalade AWD Std
93 Posts
I am working right now with the caddy dealer here for the exact same problem. Tank closest to the passenger side cracked a couple weeks back, and I'm losing a pretty good amount of coolant. You won't really notice the leak while the car is running, only when you shut off the key and get the flow of the back pressure through the system.

According to the info from my contact at Cadillac, the 98s through 02s have the same three plastic tank system. You can order each one seperately and it will run you around $400 with install from the dealer. I checked around on ebay for a couple of days before I committed and found squat. Didn't try rock auto etc though. I plan on spending a little extra since I have 125K now and having all the hoses replaced while they have everything apart. Total will be around $600. Sucks that we really can't find a quick work-around, but I guess that's what we get for buying a car with a plastic radiator. I wuz befuddled when I learned that little fact a couple weeks back! :thepan:

Good luck!

Slay

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am working right now with the caddy dealer here for the exact same problem. Tank closest to the passenger side cracked a couple weeks back, and I'm losing a pretty good amount of coolant. You won't really notice the leak while the car is running, only when you shut off the key and get the flow of the back pressure through the system.

According to the info from my contact at Cadillac, the 98s through 02s have the same three plastic tank system. You can order each one seperately and it will run you around $400 with install from the dealer. I checked around on ebay for a couple of days before I committed and found squat. Didn't try rock auto etc though. I plan on spending a little extra since I have 125K now and having all the hoses replaced while they have everything apart. Total will be around $600. Sucks that we really can't find a quick work-around, but I guess that's what we get for buying a car with a plastic radiator. I wuz befuddled when I learned that little fact a couple weeks back! :thepan:

Good luck!

Slay

Thanks for the info.

Why don't you replace the whole radiator instead of the plastic tanks?

I mean an OEM style lifetime guarantee radiator is around $200 on the web plus whatever the cost of install would be.

Also, I have 2 plastic tanks, one on each side, where is the 3rd?

Rico

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Escalade AWD Std
93 Posts
I did see the aftermarket radiators listed for that price, but when I looked further all I found were replacements OEMs for the 94-97 models. I may just have not looked long enough to find what I was hunting for.

You may be right....the three tank system may actually only be two, and I was just quoted $210 from radiator.com (to my door in three days) But I'm gonna have all my hoses replaced as well, so I'm lookin to spend a little more.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
If you are going to keep the car it would be worth buying a new one. Look online. You'll find them pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did see the aftermarket radiators listed for that price, but when I looked further all I found were replacements OEMs for the 94-97 models. I may just have not looked long enough to find what I was hunting for.

You may be right....the three tank system may actually only be two, and I was just quoted $210 from radiator.com (to my door in three days) But I'm gonna have all my hoses replaced as well, so I'm lookin to spend a little more.

I just ordered the lifetime warranty one from Radiator.com and will get it delivered to my house tomorrow for the same price (they have a warehouse in my area)

I probably will do like you and have the hoses changed and have someone do it.

How much did your mechanic quote you for the job?

Riko

1 - 20 of 34 Posts