Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

I've been away for a week, but I'm back, and I just put down a deposit with a forum member for the B&B catback with X-pipe.

I just got a couple questions.

So everything goes on after the factory cats, right? And I heard something about the cats being blown out? What's that all about?

How bad is the drone? Somebody posted that you can't even have a normal conversation? THAT really worries me...

Am I gonna get hounded by cops?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Tis true that some experienced the "rattle" which was eventually corrected by Billy Boat I believe. My cats started to bitch, rattle & whine so I gutted them...:crybaby:

Honestly, I couldn't hear the rattle after that but was turned onto another whine of the supercharger...Pick your poison...

Good luck you'll be fine! Plus they have an incredible customer service program if indeed you're un-happy...I have a few exhaust clips on youtube if you'd like to go there to hear them....chefs exhaust & chefs V sings...

Chef

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
The cats were blowing out on the early versions as they were to close to the collector.

Drone? YES with no resonator and no cats it is so GD loud you can't hear yourself think.

BITCHIN.:worship:

Cops around here don't like it so I finally put the cats and resonator on.

Lost about 15 hp to.

It is a lot quiter now but sure was FUN for awhile.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm buying it used, so I have no idea how new or old it is. How can I find out? I can't have it blowing out my cats.

How will the "drone" be with cats and x-pipe?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much better now.

Drone is gone as much as can be expected.

What you really have to be careful of is leaks.

Use the high temp copper sealant on both sides.

I had some special solid copper gaskets made for this if you want a set for all four connections.
So I'll be fine with the stock cats and x-pipe? How much louder is it inside compared to stock?

How would I go about getting these copper gaskets? And how much roughly?

And any idea on how to find out if it's the old system that will kill my cats?

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
If you're hooking the B&B exhaust up to your factory pipes with their catalytic converters, they will be fine - just get a set of Heavy's gaskets...

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're hooking the B&B exhaust up to your factory pipes with their catalytic converters, they will be fine - just get a set of Heavy's gaskets...
I'm using stock cats....

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
The old system had the cats as part of the header.

The "fix" is to replace the cat with a piece of collector pipe and move the cat downstream further.

Makes the cat replaceable.

Gaskets?

$50.00 for four. Soild copper,1/8 inch thick.

To reuse the gasket you heat it up cherry red then toss it in water.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I've had my B&B for 2 years and about 25,000 miles. Everything is fine. The drone isn't bad, you'll just learn to adjust your shift points in adjustment. It may sound like a pain but once you do it, you'll realize it's no big deal.

I have found myself, on numerous occasions, cruising on the highway at night with the music low and just being amazed at how quietly the V cruises.

And you can take delight in having the most badass looking exhaust made for the V.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The old system had the cats as part of the header.

The "fix" is to replace the cat with a piece of collector pipe and move the cat downstream further.

Makes the cat replaceable.

Gaskets?

$50.00 for four. Soild copper,1/8 inch thick.

To reuse the gasket you heat it up cherry red then toss it in water.
I'm so.. SOOOOOOOOO lost right now. If I'm just buying the catback, why do I have to move the cat?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I'm so.. SOOOOOOOOO lost right now. If I'm just buying the catback, why do I have to move the cat?
You don't. B&B upgraded their gaskets and mine are fine. Most of the cat problems came with their headers. Just make sure you start up the V while the stock catback is off. The sound will make your neckhairs curl...

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't. B&B upgraded their gaskets and mine are fine. Most of the cat problems came with their headers. Just make sure you start up the V while the stock catback is off. The sound will make your neckhairs curl...
lol.

Since I'm buying mine used what should I do about the gaskets? Buy them from heavymetals?

·
Registered
Cadillac 06' CTS-V
140 Posts
Just a reference point for you. I kave kooks, hi-flow cats, B&B and resonator. I get a lot of compliments on the deep throaty sound. Low RPM in high gear can wipe out any talking. But doing that you are bogging the car down anyway.

As mentioned by somebody else, you will find your sweet spots, keep the rpm's up just a bit and it is not much more than stock. I have heard to expect more noise decibels with x pipe.

Of course, the cam really makes it sweet music. I think you will be happy, B&B is quality stuff and really lets the exhaust flow nicely.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't look good. I just took my car out for a cruise, and in the city I'm mainly at 1200-1800 rpms.

I'm going to go listen to it on 1MEANV's car next week. If the drone is as bad as everyone says it is with the x-pipe, I'm gonna hafta go with the Magnaflow :(

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Doesn't look good. I just took my car out for a cruise, and in the city I'm mainly at 1200-1800 rpms.

I'm going to go listen to it on 1MEANV's car next week. If the drone is as bad as everyone says it is with the x-pipe, I'm gonna hafta go with the Magnaflow :(
Just take out the X pipe and put in the resonator.

It does just bolt up, not like you have to cut and weld.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts

My goodness! You're going to have to sell your other cars. They're obviously hurting your driving habits. First off, I don't know of anybody who says the drone is that bad. Second, people who own this system is uber-happy. Third, there is a difference between being in the 1400-1800 range and lugging the V in that range. Steady on the road will not drone loudly. But trying to accelerate from too low an rpm will make a loud drone. It's VERY easy to keep it at 1900rpm or higher and shift to a lower gear.

Don't wuss out on us now, Jon! Get the B&B on your V now!

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more question... Will I be able to hear the drone if I just rev it up to 1200-1800rpms without driving?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts