Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I haven't seen this problem listed, so I thought I'd ask.

Just picked up a 2000 DHS yesterday with 82,000 miles.

My father was holding it for me until I could come pick it up. In that time, he did some trouble shooting on why the AC would not work. He determined that the relay under the hood was not getting 12v. He "straight wired" a line from the cigarette lighter plug all the way to the bottom of that relay. Plug the "cell phone charger" into the lighter and the ac will kick on. Unplug it, and it turns off. Any thoughts on how to do a repair on this?

Also, I'm only getting the vents on the passenger side dash to work. No air coming out of the driver's side dash vents.

Any help here?

Also, anyone have an owner's manual for a 2000 DHS?

Thanks gang, I know I'll have tons of more questions as I get to know the vehicle better.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'm learning:
I cycled the temp knob from 60 to 90 degrees and found that I continue to have air on the passenger side only (floor and dash). It seems the defroster works on both sides. There seems to be the smallest amount of air flow on the drivers dash, but it's not enough to blow out a match.

Will it help anyone diagnose the 12v at the relay if I find the # on the relay? It's the grey, box type relay mounted in the fuse box under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Are the vents on the drivers side open? Rotate the wheel next to the vent to check it.

Pull the codes as well. If the system is low on refrigerant, it will disable the compressor to protect it. There may be a low refrigerant code.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vents are open.

No one has explained to me exactly how to "pull the codes".

Can you walk me through it?

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
You switch is normally on your accumilater so check there and it should not be hard to swap. since this is just a switch you will not lose any pressure or freon when doing this.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You switch is normally on your accumilater so check there and it should not be hard to swap. since this is just a switch you will not lose any pressure or freon when doing this.
Back up a second!
Are you telling me that I may have a bad switch? What does this switch do? What is it called?

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
The switch turns your compressor clutch on or off when your freon is properly charged. Do this find your accumilater and the switch on it. Then unplug the switch and jump the lines to see if yopur clutch turns on. If it does them the switch is bad or your just low on your charge.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, this sounds like a good possibility! Thanks!

Now, do I jump the two points together on the switch while I have the line in my cigarette lighter, or pulled out?

Can you tell me where I'll find the accumulator?

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Vents are open.

No one has explained to me exactly how to "pull the codes".

Can you walk me through it?
Go to the Tech Tips section and read the "sticky" on pulling codes. You might have an air distribution door problem. Outside chance, but maybe even a rodent building a nest in the duct work. We've heard that before.

Ebay is your friend for an owners manual.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I've printed off the tips on pulling codes. Will try that ASAP and report back.

I did find the manual on Ebay...can't wait for it to get here!!

:bouncy:

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
First find your accumulator it should look like a big silver can where the A/C lines connect to. This can should have two line and i switch connection and normally attached to the firewall. Next, to jump the switch you just take a line and connect both prongs in the electrical line that plug to your switch. What this does is tricks the clutch thinking that the switch is on. You DON"T any any eletricity or plug to anything in your lighter.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I now know exactly what you are talking about! Thanks so much for your help!

I will get to these suggestions ASAP!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From my father's diagnosis:

I believe the charge is good. There was a signal voltage on the line when I
would try to get the compressor to engage by turning it on at the dash, but
there was not enough current to pull the relay in. This function is not
controled by the ammount of charge, but by a signal from the computer of a
certain voltage and current, enough to make the relay operate to engage the
clutch, not determined by the charge condition.

Thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
86,987 Posts
Swap the relay and see if that helps. If not, maybe the clutch is bad.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He swapped the relay for the one sitting right next to it (dad says it's the horn relay) and nothing changed.

The AC does work when the relay is juiced by the 12v line from the cigarette lighter. This means the clutch is good, yes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts