Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1999 Deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderator edit: Posts by a member other than the original thread OP on a similar problem have been moved to their own thread. Sub

Hope you got it REAL cheap. Considering that it is a '99, IF the purge line is clear, borrow a block test kit from AutoZone (just pay for the test fluid) and run a block test.
Hi ranger my Cadillac just started to overheat. I dont drive rough, don’t usually accelerate fast, I drive slow and low. I came from school temp was fine 205-210 got ready left to an interview temp got to 213-217 and as I was approaching home hit 233 but fans kicked on and dropped the temp to around 212 got ready for work quickly and as I was idling it began to rise to 222 then I drove off and it got to 233 fans kicked on but it kept going up. Shut it off let it cool realized my lower radiator hose was cold/ (not hot or close to being as hot as the upper) slowly released the radiator cap after it cooling down and I noticed my coolant tank almost filled to the top. I never fill it all the way usually about half. After letting it cool to about 195 drove back home (5mins away) rose to 235 and I swapped the thermostat. Let it idle kept cool at around 206 but after 3ish minutes rose back up fans wouldn’t bring it down. I’m stuck. I don’t know what to do please help. I get no white smoke from the mufflers. I swapped the water pump before. I have one small slight leak in between the coolant tank and the coolant purge lines. (Help me find that hose?) and the car only has 81k on it drives like a dream .
Please please help! This is my baby, cracked block or bad head gasket is out of the question. Please reply soon thank you.

·
1999 Deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whether you drive it like an old lady or Mario Andretti is irrelevant.

The purge line runs from the top of the surge tank to the crossover manifold. I'll post pictures of both ends. As I and others have said earlier, if the purge line flows coolant, do a block test.

View attachment 577835 View attachment 577836
Gasket is fu***ed, anyway I have a buddy with a 2000 Cadillac deville that got into a rear wreck and I’m wondering if I can swap the motor into my 1999 I really don’t want to get rid of it.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Please do not hijack threads. Your posts and their replies have been moved to their own thread.

Two VERY different engines with VERY different calibrations and mechanical properties. From 1999 to 2000 there were significant changes made.

With ANY FWD Northstar car you need to know the powertrain option - the 8th character of the VIN.

VIN 9 is the "performance" package - 300 hp, 3.71 final drive, active suspension.
VIN Y is the "economy cruise" package - 275 hp, 3.11 final drive, passive suspension.

·
1999 Deville
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies I figured since it’d be dead it wouldn’t hurt.
Mine is vin y I don’t know about the other I assume it’s the same. The logic behind my swap is I don’t have the money to pay my mechanic 1k but he’s willing to swap it for less I just need to know if it’ll bolt right up

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
Yes, it will "bolt up", but as Sub said, 2000 was a design change and you'll probably have wiring harness problems as well as PCM problems. Check this compatibility thread.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
Gasket is fu***ed, anyway I have a buddy with a 2000 Cadillac deville that got into a rear wreck and I’m wondering if I can swap the motor into my 1999 I really don’t want to get rid of it.
==========================
you can NOT use a 2000+ Northstar motor in a 1999 Deville -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts