As you Android fans may know, Google updated Android Auto and started rolling out the update last week. As soon as I received the update the app stopped working. After going through all the permission hoops and coming up empty I prowled the Inernet and learned that I was not alone.
The solution was to uninstall the app and then download the new version as a clean install. As soon as I did that and plugged in the phone CUE and Android Auto started talking to each other again. I had to go through the setup, which is menu driven and very simple, and everything is now well again. While I did that I also added the automobile (recognized by the Bluetooth connection) as a "Trusted Location" in the "Smart Lock" setting so that it remains unlocked while in the car.