Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
On vacation over the holidays in FL and picked up a ticket on I-4.......89mph in a 65 zone. First letter to arrive was from the Ticket Clinic, good reviews online so I sent them my $99. Got this letter last week. Adjudication withheld, no points, etc. Unfortunately I've gotten about 6 of these in the last 4 years and they've all gone away for a fee. Best news is I qualify for safe driver on my car insurance and don't want to lose that. Currently have a 65mph in a 45 zone going through the courts here locally. My driving record looks clean for the last 10 years so that one should go away as well.

Lesson #1 - Don't speed.

Lesson #2 - Who are you kidding? You know you're going to speed, just don't pay the ticket. ALWAYS get a lawyer.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Or...Lesson #1: Situational Awareness :D

Reactions: tdyguy2k

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V sedan, 2017 CT6, 2000 Eldorado ETC
239 Posts
I am a little bit worried about getting caught doing 135 in the canyon where the speed limit is 45. You can see the cops it time. Luckily hardly any cops up there.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Glad this one worked out for you. Could have used this service myself a few times over the years. I looked up Ticket Clinic online, and like you, found some good reviews and some not so good reviews. Apparently there is a whole industry of lawyers/law firms who specialize in handling simple speeding tickets and other not so serious traffic violations. No doubt these lawyers provide a useful service, especially when making a court appearance is inconvenient.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad this one worked out for you. Could have used this service myself a few times over the years. I looked up Ticket Clinic online, and like you, found some good reviews and some not so good reviews. Apparently there is a whole industry of lawyers/law firms who specialize in handling simple speeding tickets and other not so serious traffic violations. No doubt these lawyers provide a useful service, especially when making a court appearance is inconvenient.
Don't know that you'd have the same luck in VA. VA hates it's residents when they speed. I got a lot when I lived there and never had any luck, lawyer or no lawyer. Moved to NC and got a ticket visiting my son in Richmond. Lawyer made it go away.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
CVP33 said:
Don't know that you'd have the same luck in VA. VA hates it's residents when they speed. I got a lot when I lived there and never had any luck, lawyer or no lawyer.
You are 100% right. That's why I always say VA troopers do not play. Even the local police are pretty anal about small things like front plates, to my dismay. A lawyer who could get tickets reduced or dismissed here would be a millionaire in no time LOL!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have always been able to get a ticket reduced in VA, by showing up for the scheduled appearance an hour or two early, and meeting with the county prosecutor beforehand. More times than I want to admit.

Once I got an excessive speeder (87 in a 55 on the beltway) so I hired a lawyer since it is a misdemeanor. He got it reduced to a 6 point violation. Once I was wrongly ticketed in Westmoreland county so I fought it and testified that I was not speeding and that I was being passed by a similar looking car. That didn't fly and I was found guilty...but it was "just" a four pointer.

Virginia remains the only state where radar detectors are banned.....*&^%$!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
No, otherwise he'd know better than to testify in your own case. You go to court with one agenda, showing how bad an expert witness the citing officer is.
Yes I am (an attorney) but that only hurts, not helps, when negotiating with the commonwealth's attorney. Besides, I am a intellectual property lawyer, not a real lawyer. Regarding testifying, you are 100% correct but this case was heard at a time (about 8 years ago) when VA had a rule that prohibited "discovery" in traffic cases. This rule has since been eliminated as being unconstitutional, but all of my discovery requests were denied.

I was not about to turn a speeding ticket into a Supreme Court case. I (hired a local lawyer and) took the best and only shot I had. The only reason that I hired the local lawyer is because I already had the six pointer on my license and was in fear of being handed some walking shoes by the DMV (damn these CTSV's). Fortunately, that didn't happen.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Then again... you might just find out how good the officer is. :p
They are never good enough. And if you watch enough shows, you see how a defense attorney can pretty much paint anything with the right line of questioning.

Bottom line is the majority of traffic stops includes some cutting corners by the officer according to NHTSA guidelines...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My fear is that sooner or later, ETS (EZ-Pass, for example) data will be used to simply have ticket mailed to the account holders. The data can't be used to prove that you weren't speeding (in case you stopped somewhere), but if your transponder covers 80 miles of road in 60 minutes (time from the first scan to the last), then there is a good argument that the vehicle was traveling an average of 80mph.

Lots of procedural and constitutional loopholes in that argument, I suppose, but no different than speed cameras......

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Pretty soon, speeding will be a thing of the past. So enjoy it while you still can ;-)

http://techaeris.com/2015/03/25/ford-help-everyone-drive-speed-limit/
This ain't new technology. I've had my own speed restrictor riding shotgun for 30 years!

----------

My fear is that sooner or later, ETS (EZ-Pass, for example) data will be used to simply have ticket mailed to the account holders. The data can't be used to prove that you weren't speeding (in case you stopped somewhere), but if your transponder covers 80 miles of road in 60 minutes (time from the first scan to the last), then there is a good argument that the vehicle was traveling an average of 80mph.

Lots of procedural and constitutional loopholes in that argument, I suppose, but no different than speed cameras......
I believe this is something they are discussing in the U.K..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hard to believe that Ford would invest in eliminate speeding tickets. I think some towns rely on the revenue, even if the speeding ticket is reduced to "non moving violation". It's money coming in. There is a county highway near my house where every once in a while the squads line up and pick off speeders one after another. I can only imagine the shot in the arm this gives the accounting office.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
Hard to believe that Ford would invest in eliminate speeding tickets. I think some towns rely on the revenue, even if the speeding ticket is reduced to "non moving violation". It's money coming in. There is a county highway near my house where every once in a while the squads line up and pick off speeders one after another. I can only imagine the shot in the arm this gives the accounting office.
That should also be illegal. The police should never be even thought of as a revenue device. The town officials and the people who allow their officials to run that town in that fashion should be ashamed of themselves. This type of stuff should be stopped.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,089 Posts
Here in Florida a town just had its police force disbanded because it was well known to be a speeding trap, even by AAA standards. The State came in and shut them down.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts