Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. I saw that one black Fleetwood Touring Sedan for sale on these forums, and it has an RPM gauge in the A-pillar. Personally, I don't like it there because it looks too import-like.

However.. how do you get the computer to display your RPM to you? Can it be done in dash or do you NEED an external gauge? Anyone have pics of cars that have the setup?

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
The PCM knows what the RPM is, but your display probably doesn't have a slot for it. Some companies make after-market digital displays (not sure if any make them specifically for the 94 Fleetwood) that have all of features older cars are missing. I'm sure there is some way to "tap into" the tach signal to the PCM and connect it to gauge.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,160 Posts
You have a tach already! You just don't know about it. The data can be displayed through the HVAC control panel.

Instructions for putting ACC in diagnostic mode -
- turn ignition to ON position (or start vehicle)
- press and hold the temp up and OFF buttons at the same time until the unit does a full segment check.
- Release the buttons.
- Display should read -00... you are now in diagnostic mode
- Using the fan up/down buttons, select desired function from above
- press middle

-02 HVAC Trouble Codes
-05 Program #
-06 Tachometer (RPMs / 100)
-07 Commanded Blower Speed (0-128)
-08 Coolant Temp (°F)
-14 Vehicle Speed (MPH)
-15 Temp Cal Offset
-18 Sun Load Sensor
-20 Current Temp Valve Position
-22 Temp Valve Position @ Cold
-23 Temp Valve Position @ Hot
-24 Coolant Temp (°C)
-25 Commanded Temp Valve Position
-27 Air Delivery Mode
-28 Inside Air Temp (0-255 where 128=75°F)
-31 Outside Air Temp (0-255 where 128=49°F)
-37 EEPROM Revision #

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
All the aftermarket plug in ones are for OBDII, I have been looking for one as well. You can buy a tach and install it yourself, its easy. All you have to do is give it power and then they usually have a pickup that goes around the #1 spark plug wire to sense engine rotation.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Jay: doing it that way, would it display RPM in place of the speed? Or would they both display?

If I have to buy one, I don't want a crappy looking one like you'd see in your stereotypical Mustang type deal. Preferably, something that's somewhat flush with the dash in some way. Anyone have any suggestions there?

Edit: lol Tachometer! That's the word I was looking for when I wrote this thread.

Serious blonde moment.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I have always toyed around with the idea of getting a small, digital one and hiding it in the ash tray. It be spring loaded and when you didn't want it just push it flat and slide the tray in. They do make small digital ones, about 1-2 inches across.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a clever idea. And really doable because I don't smoke.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,160 Posts
Jay: doing it that way, would it display RPM in place of the speed? Or would they both display?
Speed would be on the dash cluster, RPM would be on the climate control. You can select the tach function (and any others) while driving...

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh. Gotcha. I didn't read the 2nd part. I just saw "RPM can be displayed......" and zoned out. lol

That's pretty handy.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
417 Posts
Actually, if you could make the electronic one display backwards, you could just sit it up in your dash and it will reflect off of the windsheild. I bet there is a computer/electronic guru on here that can make it happen. That would be cool to see a 94 FWB with a heads up display.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like.. use a mirror, and then bounce it to the windshield?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
You also have to put a special coating on that part of the windshield to make it reflect correctly.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the coating made from?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Its some fancy plastic that is virtually invisible during the day but it allows the HUD to reflect with a crisp image.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I say you get a hood mounted tach off an old GTO and mount it right behind the cowl induction you're going to add.

·
Registered
19,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I say you get a hood mounted tach off an old GTO and mount it right behind the cowl induction you're going to add.
Lame joke? Sorry for wanting to personalize my car. I guess all mods must be run through you first. Forgive me, for I have sinned. Good grief.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
You do? Hmm, I have a HUD on my 00 Park Ave Ultra, I haven't noticed anything. I'll have to look harder to see.

I have never been able to take a picture of my HUD in operation, it always disappears...

I worked on HUD's in the Army a little, but we had a "dual combiner", which was 2 pieces of glass that make it project in weak 3D but no glare... it was cool.... http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/cphud.htm

I sure hate driving a vehicle without it!

Its some fancy plastic that is virtually invisible during the day but it allows the HUD to reflect with a crisp image.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts