Coolant on the floor
Thinking how it might have been
Time after time
Problem after problem, you broke me $$$$$

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Hahaha very creative, but how do you say $$$$?

And you've never owned an early HT4100 car! Buy one of those and suddenly the Northstar won't seem so bad.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

And you've never owned an early HT4100 car! Buy one of those and suddenly the Northstar won't seem so bad.
Actually I have. I had an '87 deville w/4.1. Only had it a few months but had no probs during that time. Had only 39 or 40k miles though. I bought it then resold it for a profit years ago.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah, but those were the improved HT4100s, the early ones were the ones with the majority of the problems, and they were much slower too, but they did weigh 7-800 lbs more.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but those were the improved HT4100s, the early ones were the ones with the majority of the problems, and they were much slower too, but they did weigh 7-800 lbs more.
Next door neighbor at my previous residency had an '84 Eldorado w/4100. I was gonna buy that car, had only 34k original miles but he died last month and I have no idea what the family did with the car afterwards. Car never gave him any problems.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Actually I have. I had an '87 deville w/4.1. Only had it a few months but had no probs during that time. Had only 39 or 40k miles though. I bought it then resold it for a profit years ago.
So I guess we can conclude then that ALL HT4100's are very reliable engines. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
:rofl: I hear so many mixed stories about the 4.1 and the 4.5. I have always been told that the 4.1 is junk. All I can tell you is that my 4.5 STS has been nothing but dependable. standing at 216k miles I've owned the car since 70k. I have done very little to the engine and she runs like a dream.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I guess we can conclude then that ALL HT4100's are very reliable engines. :rolleyes:
No, but they seem ok till the mileage creeps up on them. Much like the Northstar. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Well MY 4.5 '88 Deville has had over 320,000 miles roll under her flanks and it's now the tranny that need replacing - nothing untoward with that 4.5!

And as for the North*, 108,000 miles and nary a prob, either. I believe it is more a matter of how these cars are maintained that will dictate the amount of troubles. Keep an eye out for all the fluids, maintain the scheduled oil, filter, lube, antifreeze intervals and there shouldn't be any problems.

Unless you've owned your North* since it's dealer delivery date, you have no way of knowing how it was maintained before you got your little grubby hands on it, so 'dis-ing a used one is kinda pointless.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Comparing the HT4100 to the 4.5 is apploes to oranges.

The HT4100 would cause the owner to lose his/her will to live....

The 4.5 is indestructible, or darn near...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you've owned your North* since it's dealer delivery date, you have no way of knowing how it was maintained before you got your little grubby hands on it, so 'dis-ing a used one is kinda pointless.
I can agree with that. I was just messing with the song. My particular Deville was originally purchased by Disney as a lease vechicle. In '02 or '03 my buddy bought it at the dealership it was traded at (where he worked btw) w/50k miles on it. I bought it from him @87k miles and drove it till the h/g finally went @97k miles. When he bought it the car was like new. When I bought it from him it was a bit beat up although he and his wife swear they maintained it properly.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts

Exactly! Even if the Ht4100 is super super dependable, it's still slow, atleast the 4.5 is decently powerful overall, with a hell of a lot of low end power.

:rofl: I hear so many mixed stories about the 4.1 and the 4.5. I have always been told that the 4.1 is junk. All I can tell you is that my 4.5 STS has been nothing but dependable. standing at 216k miles I've owned the car since 70k. I have done very little to the engine and she runs like a dream.
That's the 4.5L in a nutshell. Reliable. I've heard mixed things about the HT4100's too, basically, what it boils down to is the early ones in the big RWD models are junk..had the most problems, had to battle the most weight, etc etc, but the ones used in the lighter 85-87 FWD deVilles/Fleetwoods and Sixty Specials were a lot more reliable and the cars them selves were a bit quicker than the RWD models, but the 4.5 is still the better engine.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I can agree with that. I was just messing with the song. My particular Deville was originally purchased by Disney as a lease vechicle. In '02 or '03 my buddy bought it at the dealership it was traded at (where he worked btw) w/50k miles on it. I bought it from him @87k miles and drove it till the h/g finally went @97k miles. When he bought it the car was like new. When I bought it from him it was a bit beat up although he and his wife swear they maintained it properly.
I doubt strongly Disney did the coolant changes when they had the car. That makes whatever happened after the 50k mile mark pretty well a moot point.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Hmm interesting and here I though just the opposite, that they were almost the same engine.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I doubt strongly Disney did the coolant changes when they had the car. That makes whatever happened after the 50k mile mark pretty well a moot point.
I'll tell ya what happened after the 50k mile mark............the car sucked. I dunno maybe the wicked witch put a spell on that car so that it blew its gaskets, A/C needed constant recharge, speakers would fall out of the doors, etc. Pretty goofy stuff indeed. Maybe it just needed some magic pixie dust to run good or a kiss from a prince, who the hell knows?. Not changing coolant usually does not lead to head gasket problems, at least not in any car I've owned............except one.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Yup, and it sucks, its a pennance the Northstar carries... at least up through 2002, but if you can find one thats been maintained it can outlast or at least keep pace with any other motor.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, and it sucks, its a pennance the Northstar carries... at least up through 2002, but if you can find one thats been maintained it can outlast or at least keep pace with any other motor.
Very possible but I'm not going to bother trying.:alchi:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts