Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed before but I just stumbled across this today with amazing results....

I drive 60 miles a day monday thru friday. (35,000K on my '03 Blue Chip CTS so far) And along that daily commute, my front bumper gets some pretty harsh abuse. So much so that I have been starting to ponder getting the bumper sanded down and repainted.

So, today as I am giving the ride its weekly TLC (Wash, wax, armor all the tires) I was putting Armor All on the black rubber thing below the front bumper. As I was doing so, I got a little Armor All (Low Shine BTW) on the bumper. I rubbed it off with a clean cloth and I couldn't believe what happened... ALL the chips and road rash disappeared! So, I applied a very generous amount to the entire bumper, rubbed it in very thoroughly and then with another clean cloth, rubbed it all off.

I am not kidding when I say the bumper looks BRAND NEW! Even from three feet away, you cannot see ANY chips or anything. I am VERY pleased with what I mistakenly figured out.

I know its a temporary fix, but it worked and I can just do that every time I wash and wax the car.

Save me a whole load of $$$ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 3.6DI radiant CTS fully loaded
577 Posts
wait a second... The "armor all" was for cleanning tyers and rubber things or a car wax? if so, I have "turtle wax" wax for tyres... so I can do the same....!

By the way, I use "Armor all" for my leather... It is Great. They have "Armor all" for leathers, tyres, dash boards... any thing!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Armor All products for tires and interiors are alcohol based- anything you use it on (dash, seats, tires, paint, etc...) will dry out over time. As far as your front bumper, not only will it ruin your wash mitt next time you clean the car, but the paint will start to peel if you continue to dry it out by applying Armor All to it.

One of the most overrated products of our time, IMO.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Armor All products for tires and interiors are alcohol based- anything you use it on (dash, seats, tires, paint, etc...) will dry out over time. As far as your front bumper, not only will it ruin your wash mitt next time you clean the car, but the paint will start to peel if you continue to dry it out by applying Armor All to it.

One of the most overrated products of our time, IMO.
Interesting! Armor All is going to dry out the baked on paint on my bumper?!?

·
Registered
2004 CTS Sport
94 Posts

One of the most overrated products of our time, IMO.[/quo

I'll agree. I used Armor all on the dash of two of my cars,( not the CTS )
both are dried and cracked.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I tried the Armor All, but I like tequila better. Add an egg white, crushed ice, triple sec; put in blender. Great once you are at home and no longer driving for the evening.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
I use armor all for fenderwells, underbody plastics, and engine compartment plastics and trim. Fenderwells especially, leaves a nice dark finish showing off your wheels.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use armor all for fenderwells, underbody plastics, and engine compartment plastics and trim. Fenderwells especially, leaves a nice dark finish showing off your wheels.
I use ArmorAll on a car I'm getting ready to sell - quickly. That stuff is total crap (as others have pointed out) and while some people like that "greasy glow" you get on initial application, long term use will hasten the deterioriation of the finish - especially plastics and rubber. It is by no means a "protectant". Long term (and bitter) experience, here.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Interesting! Armor All is going to dry out the baked on paint on my bumper?!?
You should make sure you know what you're talking about before making sarcastic remarks to people trying to help you.

By all means- Armor All to your heart's content. Please post pics in 6 months.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
516 Posts
Anybody who puts Armor All on their paint should be shot. :eek:
Read the bottle and stop being cheap and buy the appropriate paint protectant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts