Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to connect an Amp and subs to my stock CTS system. How do I go about that without having to pull out radio?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
numerous ways....line output convertor is the cheapest and easiest......if you want the best sound you need to add something similar to the JL audio cleansweep......run a search and you will find lots of info on this subject....after you have read the threads, ask questions and I will answer anything you didnt find answers to

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
yup as stated
an LOC (line out converter) is most simple and cheap, it will branch off your factory speakers for sound input for the amp
other options are the fosgate 3 sixty and the jl cleansweep which are ALOT more expensive and alot more involved.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
17 Posts
My friend and I just added 2 subs and an amp tonight to the car. Took the high level output via 2 green wires from the radio harness and ran them back. It works, but the sub level is constant, it does not raise or lower with the radio volume. I have to tweek the amp to raise or lower the volume of the subs, it's kind of a pain, but I will be wiring up a remote switch for it to just shut them off when I dont feel like hearing blasting sub. The aux input for xm does not seem to output to the subs either, along with the PAC audio controller I connected to the xm to allow for other auxillary inputs.
I figure there might be a third wire involved for the center/sub channel, and that would have the volume capabilities in it, but as for the XM; I'm not too sure, there might be something else in the rear deck that would control that.
If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
17 Posts
So should I find the rear speakers wire from the front, or just go right from the back door and do it; or could I use a wire from the rear deck?

edit: I am pretty sure we tapped into the fronts/main output, as we spliced into lines from the back of the radio.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
oh i did know this
i said as stated lol
i agree with everything said
yes branchin off the rear deck sub wires would be easiest and best imho

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
17 Posts
I was just playing around in the rear deck, and I cant seem to find a wire to splice into. The only wires going into the sub already came from the amp, so I cant splice into them and then put them into another amp, right?

·
Registered
Cadillac
156 Posts
I didnt need anything but my subs and new amp.
Maybe because i had a bose surround system that i didnt need a cleansweep or anything like that.
All my cuz did was tap through the rear speakers and voila, king kong in my trunk!
remote wire to the fuse box under the back seat and also the hookup was grounded well.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
splice right into the ones that connect to your sub
those are 100% fine
gimme a sec and ill let you know which is pos and which is neg

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I didnt need anything but my subs and new amp.
Maybe because i had a bose surround system that i didnt need a cleansweep or anything like that.
All my cuz did was tap through the rear speakers and voila, king kong in my trunk!
remote wire to the fuse box under the back seat and also the hookup was grounded well.

You dont know what your missing:bouncy: Maybe one day you will decide to add it and see the difference:highfive: Until then say Hi to King Kong, and I will continue to scare him off with clarity:stirpot:

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
17 Posts
The colors of the sub wires are green/black and blue/white. So the consensus here is that i can tap into those wires and run them into my amp for the high level audio in?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
splice right into the ones that connect to your sub
those are 100% fine
gimme a sec and ill let you know which is pos and which is neg

WRONG....you want the rear door speakers...NOT THE SUB....The sub is already a crossed over signal meant to be weaker for the factory setup...if you want to do it right, use the rear door speakers off the amp:highfive:

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
17 Posts
Well if I want the rear door speakers I need to pull them off the amp, which is in the passenger side wall of the trunk, right?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
flip not true
if hes using a the new amp JUST for subs then branching off the sub is the BEST place for it, the factory amp has already canceled out all highs (treb) signals and is only sending lows (bass), i connected off the 12 inch sub in my STS with an LOC and it sounds great yes most newer amps have a built in circuit to eliminate highs HOWEVER your using an LOC for signal not an aftermarket HU with rcas, its not as efficient, and not as clear, it helps avoid highs and distortion which any audiophile knows KILLS subs more than overpowering or underpowering

the wiring all depends on which system you had (bose or no bose)

RPO U57 4 Pin Connector only 2 wires used
A Dark Blue/White Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (+)
B Light Green/Black Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (-)

RPO U66 4 Pin Connector all 4 wires used
A Light Green/Black Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (-)
B Dark Blue/White Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (+)
C Light Blue/Black Rear Subwoofer Speaker Output (-)
D Dark Green Right Subwoofer Speaker Output (+)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts