Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading the motherboard, cpu, and memory in my computer box and would like anyone's input on the AMD quad core processors (Phenom) versus the dual core (X2). I notice that the clock speeds on the Phenoms are around 2.2GHz while the X2s are at 3.0GHz and up. I have read in other forums that many users preferred the single core over the dual core (years ago) as the latter had some compatibility problems in MS Windows - not sure if the quad core has any limitations over the dual core. I use the PC for general home computing (in Vista) along with occasional light photo / video / audio processing and light gaming. The X2 combos I’m looking at are in the $120 - $150 range while the Penom combos are in the $140 - $180 range. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Back when dual cores first came out, single core was considered better because duals (I'm using Intel Pent D as an example) were basically two singles stacked together, and they were very inefficent and had heat problems.

Duals now are much better, but for the kind of PC you want, I'd use quad. About clock speed, quads don't need as much frequency because the load is dispersed between more processer units. Each core on a dual needs to be faster because it can only process two threads at a time, where as a quad can run four at a time, allowing for lower clock speeds and less heat.

If you're getting an AMD be sure to get a Phenom II, they're much better then the orginal. I prefer the Intel Yorkfield personally though.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS Z Rated
258 Posts
Rodya said it all pretty much, quads are normally more so better for video/audio processing and can handle light gaming fine. My current setup (custom built) is a asus M2N-E SLI motherboard and a AMD 5400+ @ 2.81 GHz (but 2 cores so its really 5.62 GHz of processing power).

However, I am dropping my current motherboard and processor to upgrade for a Quad core Phenom II @ 3.0GHz (but 4 cores so you are now running at 12 GHz stock :O). That may seem like over kill but when you are rendering a video or audio file the processor can really pound through it and allow you to multitask flawlessly whereas a dual core will cause some slight hesitation.

When quad cores first came out it was the exact same story as dual cores, compatibility issues, Windows not utilizing the cores correctly for maximum output, and a lot of programs not using the cores to maximize the programs performance properly too.

Here's the processor and motherboard I am most likely picking up soon. (NOTE: This is not what you NEED its just something that I am getting for similar purposes. I am a web designer/IT/Networking Consultant, I use the Adobe Master Collection extensively rendering is 50% of my time on the computer. Due to this I am going to the rather high end of the spectrum.)

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131292

Here would be my suggestion for you as far as processor and motherboards would go.

(NOTE: This is a combo deal, the price is for both the motherboard and the processor, the processor comes with grease pre-spread and a stock cooling fan. The motherboard comes with all cables needed.)

Combo: [URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.182229[/URL]

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

I've heard nothing but good things about that motherboard and the processor is a decent one that should provide you with enough power for the light multimedia tasks you do do.

One thing I would strongly recommend you do is check your power supply and make sure you have enough power to go around. This processor is a 95 watt power house, make sure you are giving it the power it needs and it should treat you well.

If you have any questions or are confused on anything let me know. I may not know a lot about Cadillacs but I do know my far share about computers. :alchi:

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:worship: Those are all great thoughts - thanks for your comments. Looks like I'll be going with the quad-core.

eXile - I have also done business with Newegg in the past and have yet to experience a disappointment with them but you should also check out Tiger Direct - they seem to have a bit more to offer, especially in the mobo / cpu combos. I'll probably do business with them - they have a store here in Raleigh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I actually do do business with Tiger Direct, bought my case and my monitor through there. Theres a store in Hoffman Estates out by me, good selection but the warehouse store in Naperville is awesome, anything and everything you could pick from.

I strongly suggest Asus motherboards from personal experience but I've heard good things from that other motherboard I linked you too also.

Almost for got.... THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING AMD OVER INTEL. I really hate it when someone brings up the i7 processor line and brags about it when the processor I am buying beat their top of the line i7 out in almost all the benchmarks and its 1/4 of the price. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That's odd, Tiger Direct has a store out by me too! Their Orland Park warehouse is about 15 miles from my house.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Intel will always get my vote. To many issues with AMD in the past. I refuse to sell AMD to my customers as well.

More important to system performance than clock speed is FSB speed.

AMD makes there processors blaze in certain areas so they can brag about benchmarks, the truth is the areas they blaze in don't matter and no one cares. Intel will win every time as far as real world performance, longevity and compatibility.

SuperMicro C2SBX
Intel E8500 BX80570E8500A

·
Registered
258 Posts
I knew I'd run into at least one close minded Intel person on here.

I'm not going to start a flame war and I'm not going to agree with you. However, the Phenom II is producing some numbers and performing so well its giving the i7 a run for its money.

I am a tinker type of person, its what I do, I tend to overclock my processors. I know that in the past Intel has locked that option on their processors, but AMD has not. For that reason and many others I am a huge AMD fan. (*Cough* much bigger pipeline *Cough*)

Anyways you have your own right to your opinion. :thumbsup:

Choose what you think would suit you best kckranz.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Go for an Intel chip...

It has nothing to to with being closeminded, but this isn't 2002... AMD hasn't had a performance edge on Intel since they were putting their Athlons up against Netburst CPUs. Once Intel stopped chasing clockspeed, took their heads out of their asses, and released their "Core" line... AMD has been playing catchup ever since.

The Phenoms have had teething pains ever since their inception and even now after they've straightened out most of the kinks, they still offer no greater performance than Intels ordinary Core2 lineup... and that's saying nothing of the new Nehalem line - which once again leave AMD in the dust playing catch up.

Again, it has nothing to do with being closeminded - it just is what it is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Normally, when people 'rate' processors its a review looking at its performance and benchmarks etc... The 2.66 GHz is the speed of the processor, not the rating.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
Thanks for that tid-bit.

Again, how would you Intel guys rate the above processor.
I'm not really a computor geek, Just a Mercedes technician.

"It's SPEED" is 2.66 GHz

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The Q6700 is very good for today's computing, and I could see it lasting awhile into the future. Hardware depreciates fast though, which is why I hate computers. They're the worst investment ever. :thepan:

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
Thanks, I did a lot of online research and tried to pick a tower
with good components that would last me awhile.

6 GB of memory expandable to 8 and 750 GB hard drive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Its a love hate relationship for me Rodya, I do ALOT with my machine. And I enjoy building new ones but really hate watching my money go out the door when I do make new ones. :(

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
The Kentsfield is a fantastic processor... You shouldn't have any problem for quite some time - especially with 6GB of ram. I would have personally saved the money and gone for the Q6600. With four cores doing the lifting equally, the extra 260MHz wouldn't really justify the extra cost... but that's just me.

Either way - you done good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I love to build/upgrade my own computer as well; I use it for multi-media/high demand gaming, but dropping $1500 on a computer every 18 months was starting to break my wallet. Now that I have a high demand car I have to transfer funds to the car budget from everywhere else. I used to completely replace everything in the case, but now I carry over a lot of parts from build to build, so my last upgrade was only about $500. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, sounds exactly like my story, except my car isn't demanding anything from me at this point. *Knocks on wood*

I have always carried over parts and I do do some high end gaming also, what games you playin'?

Im running dual nVidia 295 GTX's right now gonna up it to 3 soon, what are you running GFX cards wise?

By the way just noticed you are really close, drag sometime? Or you wanna go cruisin' together? 2 Caddy's holding down the road side-by-side nothing better...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts