Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ambient temperature sensor fan above the drivers head is making that ticking noise again after cleaning it about a year ago in my 04. I am going to pull it and clean the blades, shroud, and intake grill and maybe lube the bearings with some Teflon based oil but it might be better to just replace it. I've searched the web and cannot seem to find a replacement or even a part number. I've searched the manuals I bought and cannot find any info on it. Any ideas out there?
 

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at that but I did not remember it looking like it. But when I checked all the pictures, my memory came back. Thanks. I'll tear it down for cleaning and lubricating first. Why waste money if you can do it yourself. I've cleaned and lubed a lot of small fans on electronic equipment.
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Agreed on the money part

If you don't mind snap a few pics and do a how to on that

I would myself it's just I hate messing with the headliner even though I do need to pull both sensors and give them a good clean and lube

I started to pull the rear one once but when I seen I had to drop the DVD player I stopped as I didn't have the time to mess with it when I checked it(may drop the player one day and pull the rear sensor and give it a go over)

I have cleaned many computer fans over time so these would be easy just have to pay extra attention to the sensor so it doesn't get damaged
 

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
Joined
·
180 Posts
Could you clean it without removing using a compressed air keyboard cleaner? Or would that be too harsh for the sensor?
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Huddy said:
Could you clean it without removing using a compressed air keyboard cleaner? Or would that be too harsh for the sensor?
You can but it just moves around the dust and doesn't really help plus if you ain't careful you can bump the sensor out of position (it would be too close to the fan inside)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Mine was making that same annoying sound and I bought the AC Delco part of Amazon a couple of years ago and it fixed the annoying sound instantly. It wasn't real hard to replace either.
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Mark Edward Morrison said:
Mine was making that same annoying sound and I bought the AC Delco part of Amazon a couple of years ago and it fixed the annoying sound instantly. It wasn't real hard to replace either.
Mark does your truck have the rear DVD player?
Mine does and I wonder if I could access the rear sensor that way?

Not sure on the front but I think I would need to remove the visor
I plan on replacing them soon as the buzz is getting louder as they age
 

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The grill just pops off. The wires were just long enough to remove the sensor from the sun roof side. From the door side you will have to pop the front pillar and door jam pillar molding a little to get the headliner low enough to remove it. There are 3 grey tabs that have to be released to get the bottom off. There are 3 black squeeze tabs to release to remove the fan and sensor from the housing. Very carefully bend the thermistor up and pull the fan straight up to remove it. It is held in place by the magnetic field. Clean all the dust and dirt with a toothbrush being gentle by the thermistor. Next put a tiny drop of thin Teflon oil on the fan shaft instead of over oiling the Oilite bearing. Re-assemble and carefully bend the thermistor back horizontal across the fan. If you are a do-it-yourself person you just had some fun and saved $20.

Fan 1a.jpg

Fan 2b.jpg

Fan 3a.jpg

Fan 6a.jpg i
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Nice work
If you want to post more pics use photo bucket and paste the links in the posts
That's what I had to start doing after I hit the quota on here

I don't have a sun roof though it should be about the same
Now if it gets cool enough I will tackle it when I ain't busy
 

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to add 1 more picture to my last post showing it totally disassembled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
No TCM it does not, I replaced mine with a new one and took mine off just like N9LO took his off. I can't remember the price but I just bought a new one. My Escalade is going up for sale here in NW OKC, so if anyone is looking for a great looking Escalade that has been well maintained with around 150K on the dial PM me. I will also give you the cell to my buddy that works at Cadillac as a mechanic that has done all work on mine since I have owned it since 2007 and he will continue to do any repairs that might happen down the road for you needed as an added bonus. ;-)
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Mark Edward Morrison said:
No TCM it does not, I replaced mine with a new one and took mine off just like N9LO took his off. I can't remember the price but I just bought a new one. My Escalade is going up for sale here in NW OKC, so if anyone is looking for a great looking Escalade that has been well maintained with around 150K on the dial PM me. I will also give you the cell to my buddy that works at Cadillac as a mechanic that has done all work on mine since I have owned it since 2007 and he will continue to do any repairs that might happen down the road for you needed as an added bonus. ;-)
I am going to replace mine as I figure one would fail no more then I got it cleaned given my luck with stuff lately

That sounds like a sweet deal on your truck and a loyal tech
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Yeah he is a really good guy and he will appreciate the side business! For the price TCM, I wouldn't clean it, I would just replace it with a brand new one. Like I said I did my a couple of years ago but don't recall it being real expense and it wasn't hard to switch out at all.
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Mark Edward Morrison said:
Yeah he is a really good guy and he will appreciate the side business! For the price TCM, I wouldn't clean it, I would just replace it with a brand new one. Like I said I did my a couple of years ago but don't recall it being real expense and it wasn't hard to switch out at all.
Will do just have to order the new ones first

My truck doesn't have the sun roof so will it make it easier or harder to get to the front one??
I think I can get the rear one done quick as I can drop the DVD player and get to it
 

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
Joined
·
11,902 Posts
Mark Edward Morrison said:
Mine doesn't have a sun roof either, you'll see it's easy to do and no more annoying sound!
Ah cool I can pull the a piller and the visor easy to work with the headliner easier

Just waiting for it to get cooler to do it(also got to order them)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top