Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , I have a 99 Catera and I love it. Just recently an amber oil light has come on steady and it intermittently turns on and off maybe within 10 minutes. The oil pressure is good and the car runs very good and I've checked my oil level and its looking fine. I do have a CEL but i believe its something to do with some valve in the fuel (EGR) or something i forgot exactly.

Im thinking maybe some sensor is dirty and or faulty and is giving erroneous readings? what other possibilities may there be?

·
Registered
1997 Catera
172 Posts
I can give my $0.02.
1) Oil level - I found mine liked to trip at a bit over a half-quart from max. A bit sensitive. Since it loses about a half-qt after 3000 miles (its got over 145000 on it now and synthetic will seep out those older seals a bit more) I like the reminder. Assuming that ain't it..

2) Flow issue? Oil pressure won't drop if its not too low but if there is some upper blockage slowing the return of oil from the heads, maybe, especially if going at high speed on an incline (downhill I think)...once again it doesn't have to drop that far to set off the sensor...

3) That sensor stays tripped for about 3 minutes ( I think...could be 10) if it is ever set. One brief set and its on for a while. Set it again before it turns off it resets the time...

4) Alternator or battery / cable issue? See a lot here in the forum, and have seen it myself with false low-level signal on coolant and wiper and oil, if voltage stays too low. Running a bit warm this time of year? Fans, (3 plus ECM cooling) AC, and electric pumps (2) all running drags it down fast! If its a heat issue gotta solve that one or wait till winter to stop the tripping of the light (s). Saw it all last year with temp running consistently at 3/4, no external oil cooler. Ran it harder and hotter this summer than ever :want: , external oil cooler and new radiator, T-stat, full flush after disassembly, yah yah, got another post on here with those details if ya want them......temp stays at 1/2 even when the car says its way over 100 outside. And well...with no changes in my electrical (I did inspect all of it) have seen no low voltages AND no false low-level lights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts