Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,691 Posts
The AmazonBasics oil has all of the qualifications for use in GM vehicles:
https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos1/index.html

It is on the list of licensed brands as dexos1 Gen 2 in 5W-30 as required in the XT5. Further, it is labeled Full Synthetic which is preferred over the semi-synthetic.

I use only Mobil1 in all of my vehicles and snowblower as well. The AmazonBasics is $6 cheaper in a 5 qt bottle like I buy from Walmart. Usually I can get a rebate from Mobil that will refund $12 for a 5 qt bottle making the Mobil1 $6 cheaper than the AmazonBasics.

Even if I could not get the rebate and the Mobil1 was $6 more expensive than the AmazonBasics, I would still use Mobil1 because I trust it and so does GM who put Mobil1 in my Corvette when it was assembled.

·
Registered
XT5
485 Posts
My own opinion is that only labeled GM oil should be used. Even better to always have the dealer pour it in. I put off buying a new car out of concern for intake valve carbonization. Older port fuel injection squirted gasoline on the backs of intake valves cleaning the oil condensate off them before it could turn into heavy black crud. Newer direct injection systems squirt the fuel directly into the combustion chamber without cleaning the valves. The oil condensate primarily boils out of the crankcase and is admitted to the intake manifold through the PCV. Initial adoption by BMW, VW & others created problems that could only be resolved with expensive disassembly. The manufacturers were not releasing much information on how they were addressing the potential problem. I needed a new car and the Lexus with the extra port injector did not have Android so I closed my eyes and decided to go for the XT5. However, I don't want to have any issues with the warranty and will stick with true Dexos, Top Tier gas, proper oil change intervals, and dealer service. Hard to imagine how much it would cost to disassemble the heads on a car with the engine in sideways and a stack of cams, chains and self adjusting doohickeys on top of each head. That's only my opinion. of course. The XT5 does have a new PCV valve but this concern can only grow with time as engine wear opens sealing gaps and increases pressures. Previously, I always changed my own oil and didn't trust lubricants that did not come out of the ground. Now I want to safeguard the long warranty.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
"Amazon oil" - Undoubtedly refined/packaged by one of the Big Four refiners - just like other chain store branded oils - and similar arrangements for other products.

"GM" oil is probably Mobil 1 - simply contract packaged in GM bottles. The bottles on the parts counter are the same stuff that's in the 55 gallon drums in the shop.

Just about every name brand engine oil on earth met the GM "DEXOS" specifications before it was ever instituted. It's a minimum specification, not an additive or refinery package. GM extorts money from the refiners for product licensing.

Synthetic oils "come out of the earth" - and some newer high performance synthetics are created from natural gas. Pennzoil, for one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=synthetic+engine+ooil+from+natural+gas&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS730US730&oq=synthetic+engine+ooil+from+natural+gas&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.10502j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
604 Posts
My 2018 XT5 comes with 4 years of free oil changes. Doesn't yours?
I'm not one to cheap out on oil. We're all on this forum driving around in our $50,000++ luxury SUV's and discussing cheap oil. It is the single most effective thing to do to your car to keep it running well, change your oil when the DIC says to and use a quality product. Who cares about saving $10 overall on an oil change.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My 2018 XT5 comes with 4 years of free oil changes. Doesn't yours?
I'm not one to cheap out on oil. We're all on this forum driving around in our $50,000++ luxury SUV's and discussing cheap oil. It is the single most effective thing to do to your car to keep it running well, change your oil when the DIC says to and use a quality product. Who cares about saving $10 overall on an oil change.
So, my OCD kicks in, I use the Free oil changes, however I usually do not wait for the DIC to go to 20%. I replace the Oil every 3 to 5 months on average regardless of DIC, but do not reset the change. I use Wix XP filters, Walmart Mobile 1, by the time the DIC reads 20%, I schedule to have them do the oil change and they will reset to 100%. again, In NY with the seasons, I usually do a change right before Summer and again before winter. Keeps my OCD in check, gives me the opportunity to give a underbody checkup for leaks etc. I also do Brake Flush every 2 years also with Motive kit, takes about 35 min. I don't know of any dealer that actually lets all oil drain out. Right before change I add 8oz Seafoam ( snake oil ) let idle for 10 min, drain, after it slows to a trickle, I do the filter. By the time I finish the filter, I open the drain plug again, you would be surprised how much additional oil has drained off the engine. On all my cars doing this, you will see NO VARNISH on the internals or cap. I'll also suction out the power steering and fill with fresh every 2 years, every 3 years, a drain and fill of Radiator fluid. I have 4 plastic ramps from AutoZone, drive up on all four, no lift no problem, easy to scoot around for the brake flush without removing wheels...

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
604 Posts
So, my OCD kicks in, I use the Free oil changes, however I usually do not wait for the DIC to go to 20%. I replace the Oil every 3 to 5 months on average regardless of DIC, but do not reset the change. I use Wix XP filters, Walmart Mobile 1, by the time the DIC reads 20%, I schedule to have them do the oil change and they will reset to 100%. again, In NY with the seasons, I usually do a change right before Summer and again before winter. Keeps my OCD in check, gives me the opportunity to give a underbody checkup for leaks etc. I also do Brake Flush every 2 years also with Motive kit, takes about 35 min. I don't know of any dealer that actually lets all oil drain out. Right before change I add 8oz Seafoam ( snake oil ) let idle for 10 min, drain, after it slows to a trickle, I do the filter. By the time I finish the filter, I open the drain plug again, you would be surprised how much additional oil has drained off the engine. On all my cars doing this, you will see NO VARNISH on the internals or cap. I'll also suction out the power steering and fill with fresh every 2 years, every 3 years, a drain and fill of Radiator fluid. I have 4 plastic ramps from AutoZone, drive up on all four, no lift no problem, easy to scoot around for the brake flush without removing wheels...
Holy crow! Everything including an enema each quarter. Definitely going above and beyond, but hey, your car is pampered.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,691 Posts
I have 4 plastic ramps from AutoZone, drive up on all four, no lift no problem, easy to scoot around for the brake flush without removing wheels...
How do you drive up on all four ramps? I would like to be able to do that. Or do you drive up on two and then raise the other end of the vehicle with a jack?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you drive up on all four ramps? I would like to be able to do that. Or do you drive up on two and then raise the other end of the vehicle with a jack?
https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/dp/B0117EETEK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548306066&sr=8-3&keywords=car+ramps

I had 2, then my neighbor moved and gave me his. Just place in front of all four wheels. Drive up slow ( I give it gas micro push on the gas ) car will hit the sweet spot and slowly drive up. Park, apply parking brake. The only time you will have to modify the procedure is if you have a car and the chassis is too low, then I simply drive up on the fronts first till the rear will clear ( Usually 8" up ramps, Park, apply parking brake, place the rears, then proceed. I've been doing this for years. I usually do a wash and give the rims a good cleaning and wax before finishing. People passing by say its pretty cool.... its so simple.... Car is level for fluid checks... no bending over, creeper gives you plenty of room under body. It was also great when I added the rear hitch to my SRX.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy crow! Everything including an enema each quarter. Definitely going above and beyond, but hey, your car is pampered.
Not always every 3 months, wife does a lot of local driving, the Oil % drops pretty quickly. So the DIC is usually around 30% when I do it, but if its right before winter, I will do the change so I don't have to worry about it during the cold months...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts