Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum: hello.
I have a very nice '83 C.d. Ville (60K) and have just blown the head gasket on the 4100 engine.
This is not a cheap repair, yet, I really don't want to junk the car.
Perhaps the money might be better spent on a different engine.
My question: Is it realistic to replace the engine with something else? If so, what mills would you folks suggest?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You could probably go with the later 4.5l or 4.9l, most likely an easy swap, since they are essentially the same engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Wes.
My biggest complaint about the car is that high speed acceleration is almost non-existent. It cruises great at 60 or 70, but, hit the gas and it just sits there. A beefier engine that could cure this problem would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Sounds like its time for a 500V8 swap :D Thats what I'm doing :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The 500 inch V8 from the 75-76 Cadillacs or the 70-76 Eldorados.
You can use the parts from the 77-82(maybe 83)RWD Cadillacs.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Charles K,
Welcome aboard!
Your in luck sir. The car you have will be an easy swap for any Olds V8 basically. There are virtually tons of parts available for the job too. The most common install is the 350 but a 307 or even a 403 will just drop in. As I recall, you'll probably have to swap the transmissions as well.
Unfortunately, a 4.5 or 4.9 will NOT work for this install since your car is a RWD longitudinal mount engine. The others will ONLY work for FWD installs.
FYI, The FWD 4.1 can easily be replaced by a 4.5/4.9 though.
Good luck ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it: thx!
I was just visiting:
http://remanufactured-engines.com/page11.htm
for some info. They seems to think staying with the 4100
is a good idea (I have my doubts) and say this:

"Although some of the HT's reputation is deserved, much of it is like having Shannon Dougherty or Sharon Stone for a girlfriend. Even though it has a short temper at certain times the design is so attractive you wouldn't trade it in for a more reliable Ricky Lake type engine. Basically, never ever let it run hot. With it's lightweight bi-metal construction it's junk in 60 seconds. R&R and resurface the intake manifold every 60 thousand miles, get 20-w-50 oil changes, run Slick 50 or equivalent and the average HT will go over two hundred thousand miles."

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
PUT THE OLDS MOTOR IN IT! THE HT4100 IS A P.O.S.....If those guys on that site like it so much, Let them buy it from you!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Charles K,
Those guys are TOTALLY wrong.
1. The HT4100 even running like new is a dog.
2. How can you guarantee that an engine that is SO prone to over-heating, won't over-heat?
3. Anybody that suggests using 20w-50 in a HT4100 doesn't know anything about the engine.
4. Anybody that suggests using Slick 50........don't get me started on Slick 50!!

Like I said, do the Olds engine. 307 if you just want a cheap, reliable ride, the 350 if you want to have some fun, the 403 if you want to build a sleeper.
Hey I forgot, you could also drop an Olds Diesel in it too ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice: thanks much, guys!
Yeah, Kevin, when I got to the "Slick 50" part I knew something here wasn't right. I mean, I'm supposed to dump all this dough into a rebuilt 4100 and then pray to God that the water pump doesn't ever break, or I'll totally destroy my engine?
And it is a dog on the highway, which is embarrassing, because it's a highway car. It's tough to take a Nissan Sentra jumping in front of you doing 70 because the old brick can't deliver at that speed.
KC: on the rebuild site, the core rebate for the 4100 was the lowest of ANY other Cadoo mill (at $200.) Doesn't say much for the "Shannon Dougherty" of engines. And just what DOES he mean by saying that "the design is so attractive.." I've never heard that engine described that way ("Got an '83 Coupe... gee, I hope they gave ya the HT4100!")
One more question: will I have to fanagle an inspection sticker because of the emissions?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Depends on the emissions tests they have in Boston.Down here in Texas we don't have them test(yet). In Houston and Dallas I think they do and maybe El Paso.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The core value is the lowest 'cause the chances of actually getting a rebuildable HT4100 is somewhere between slim and none.
And don't worry about emmissions, your car will still be tested at '83 levels and that's no sweat to pass with today's technology, even with an Olds motor. If nothing else, you could just transplant an entire engine w/management system out of any full size GM car w/307 Olds and 4bbl carb. It will breeze through emmissions and then run FOREVER.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The design is about as attractive as Bela Abzug! The only thing nice about the HT4100 is........Oh forget it, There isn't anything attractive about it! Kat's right about the emissions test....Just do it right and you'll have nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
266 Posts
kcnewell said:
PUT THE OLDS MOTOR IN IT! THE HT4100 IS A P.O.S.....If those guys on that site like it so much, Let them buy it from you!
Exactlly! Don't make the same mistake I did. I replaced mine with another 4100 after the original went in my 85. I kicked myself for it afterwords. SBC or Olds. The Chevy if you want to make a sleeper out of it;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Charles K said:
I'm new to this forum: hello.
I have a very nice '83 C.d. Ville (60K) and have just blown the head gasket on the 4100 engine.
This is not a cheap repair, yet, I really don't want to junk the car.
Perhaps the money might be better spent on a different engine.
My question: Is it realistic to replace the engine with something else? If so, what mills would you folks suggest?
What a bunch of BS about the 4100 i just spent the past hour reading the posts on the Northstar engines and all their blown head gasket problems in addition to other sensor,electrical,computor and mechanical issues. I have owned my 87' deville for 4 years now with almost 140k on the original engine and i have absolutley no complaints about the 4100.
Charles, find a good mechanic that knows Cadillac engines and replace both head gaskets and the water pump with a New pump not a rebuilt one and have the mechanic do a complete tune up and oil change and you will be all set. My 87' runs very well and has been well maintained, i am the 2nd owner of the car, i have used Castrol GTX 20W50 motor oil in it for 4 years, the engine has plenty of power and still runs like new. I would stay away from slick 50 but after your odometer hits 100k change to Castrol 20W50, and make sure you change your oil every 2000 miles and don't hot rod the engine and you will be fine, it's a Cadillac so treat it like one, not a chevy or an olds.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
20w-50 is far TOO heavy for the HT4100. The engine in your car has survived "in spite" of the oil, not because of it.
In warmer climates, it may not be as big a deal but generally speaking, the HT4100 was "designed" for lighter weight oils and therefore the heavy oils will not provide the proper amount of "cold flow" to properly lubricate the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dear Sound Advantage,
Thanks for the reply.
My only issue is your claim that the 4100 "has plenty of power."
Even when the car was in tip-top shape, this was never the case.
This is a highway car, yet, at speed, it possesses no acceleration whatsoever. Even at 60mph, old Nissan Sentras would easily blast by me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Plenty of power.....If you're not in a hurry?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
Scrapyard