Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my car was leaking/dripping something when my car is running. I checked to make sure it wasn't oil, and the fluid was just clear. So I thought, must be condensation from the AC since I run it pretty high.

Then suddenly, this morning, when I turn my wheel, I get a crapload of whining noises. I believed this to be the power steering.

So I took it into Midas and the guy says that there are two lines (don't know what that means) with leaks and says the power steering pump is fried.

Parts and labor he says will be $1300. Is this an accurate assessment?

Help!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
Get a second or third opinion. That sounds high for a P/S pump. Even on a car of an unknown year.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Try having the line replaced first. The pump may still be fine. We had ML's come into the shop that blew the lower p/s hose off (was a campaign on that actually) at highway speed. Truck would come in pump whining and groaning and stuff, sounding like it was about to die. We'd replace the line, fill the system back up and let the air bleed out. Rarely did the pump need to be replaced too. As long as you haven't let it run for very long, it might still be ok. As I said before, try replacing the line that's leaking first and go from there. No sense replacing the pump if it's not dead. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Power Steering Pump for $1,300!? Can you say "B.S."? I was quoted for the P/S and labor $232.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Oh yeah, 2nd or 3rd opinion on whatever you're driving. If it is dripping while running, you might just have a loose fitting or bad O ring. You may have two hoses seeping/leaking, but they are not both pissing out fluid.
Take your car to someone who will just fix the complaint.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I knocked the PS fluid filter off from mine in a parking lot. Horrible noise, but I shut it off quickly. I can't imagine it costing more than $300 to change it though, unless the rack is shot too, which I doubt.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
I agree stay away from Midas, I have had very bad experience with them. Why do you think they call it "The Midas Touch"? Because everything they touch on your cars turns to Gold for them.

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
that sounds a bit high, i think autozone sells a replacement pump for around $150. after the hoses are removed there's only on bolt holding the pump on.

i would check somewhere else or do it yourself.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
HAHA I honestly almost fell out of my chair laughing at this one.

GoCadillac what year is your car? Check out this very recent thread over on the N* subforum:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/112241-replaced-your-power-steering-pump-come.html

it's all about how to do it, I personally haven't replaced mine but I have removed it for other maintenance, it's SIMPLE!

On a side note you need to inspect the hoses that run to your steering rack and inspect the boots at both ends of the rack to make sure a seal hasn't gone because if it has you'll need to replace the rack (I think they cost about $250, so in other words if you had your ENTIRE power steering system replaced, reservoir, pump, rack, hoses, hell even throw in an intermediate steering shaft and labor MIGHT cost you $1300 :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts