Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got the brackets from Hotchkis for my sways. But I got to thinking(insert snyde comment here). Did anyone install only the rear bar?

All you handling gurus, what do you think? Too much oversteer? Not that much? I'll install both bars eventually. But with widened rims in back and 275 PS2s, maybe the handling balance wouldn't be too bad...maybe.

Should I try it? How much of a PITA is the front bar install?

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
OK, I got the brackets from Hotchkis for my sways. But I got to thinking(insert snyde comment here). Did anyone install only the rear bar?

All you handling gurus, what do you think? Too much oversteer? Not that much? I'll install both bars eventually. But with widened rims in back and 275 PS2s, maybe the handling balance wouldn't be too bad...maybe.

Should I try it? How much of a PITA is the front bar install?
I installed both so I'm not sure what just a rear install would be like but the front install isn't that bad. The hardest part is getting the end links in the rest is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Is that a trick question?

Trying to change the topic with suspension talk doesn't fool anyone.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I watched my neighbor do it in a very short amount of time.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
I thought the front was easier than the rear. under one hour including beer time. Just put stock front bar and mounts back on, wanted GM squishy marshmallows to soften ride.

Retiring as track car and going back to fast Grandpa travel car. I'd like to hear more about GM fronts and Hotchkis rears and how that affects handling. Best I can tell on street no problems so far.

By the by.. Urb technically answered original question..

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
^^ I too found the front bar easier to install...didn't have to dick with the exhaust being in the way and fishing it in/out of there like the rear bar......and you will probably have ALOT of oversteer with factory front bar when you actually get in a corner hard....that much oversteer can't be safe, not on a daily driver that is....even if you know how to handle the car, you can't be sure how it'll react especially in an emergency situation.....do it all or don't do it.....your either pregnant or your not ;)

although, just thinking about it...if you do do it, find a nice dry skidpad with some sticky tires and video tape one of the rear wheels coming off the ground :D

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ I too found the front bar easier to install...didn't have to dick with the exhaust being in the way and fishing it in/out of there like the rear bar......and you will probably have ALOT of oversteer with factory front bar when you actually get in a corner hard....that much oversteer can't be safe, not on a daily driver that is....even if you know how to handle the car, you can't be sure how it'll react especially in an emergency situation.....do it all or don't do it.....your either pregnant or your not ;)

although, just thinking about it...if you do do it, find a nice dry skidpad with some sticky tires and video tape one of the rear wheels coming off the ground :D
I need to find the pic of my old '92 SHO on a large rear bar and smaller front. A nice 4 wheel drift during an auto-x. If anything, it'll be nice to get some edumacation on a loose V. Or I could just ask WW or urby...

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,082 Posts
I was understeering like crazy the other weekend (more like plowing). Hots bars front back. 275's in the rear.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,082 Posts
Joo no layzee maiyne.

-Chris

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
I need to find the pic of my old '92 SHO on a large rear bar and smaller front. A nice 4 wheel drift during an auto-x. If anything, it'll be nice to get some edumacation on a loose V. Or I could just ask WW or urby...
that may be the case on the sho and other cars as well, since I too have a huge rear bar on my camaro but and it obviously oversteers but is still very manageable, trust me...my car is stock susp. just hot bars and she oversteers like crazy....as in, no throttle and turn the wheel and she goes a skootin...so I can only imagine what'd do with a squishy front end.

I was understeering like crazy the other weekend (more like plowing). Hots bars front back. 275's in the rear.

-Chris
All I can think of is improperly inflated tires (understeer=put more psi in front) or you had to much weight transfered to the front (braking)/turning too sharply....... otherwise like previously stated I have plenty of oversteer and I only run my front tires 2 psi over my rears.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Damn, I guess I forgot to try the experiment...
Dude, your an a$$! I'm reading this sh*t like its new.
I'm actually dealing with bigtime understeer right now. Dumb-a$$ that I am, thought I'd learn something.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts