Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ATS Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2003 STS with all the bells and whistles. After carefully reading the Owner's Manual, I'm beginning to feel somewhat comfortable with most of the seemingless endless list of features. One thing is really puzzling me however. Based on the description in the Owner's Manual it's my understanding that the rearview mirror should display compass headings, and these headings should be visible in the mirror when the ON/OFF switch to the left of the OnStar button is in the ON position. When I toggle the ON/OFF switch, little green lights come on at both ends of the controls section of the mirror, but no compass readings are displayed. Is this a problem, or am I just missing something?

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
The compass should display "C" if it is working but disoriented.
It may be that the compass needs to be calibrated.
Try driving a few times in a circle in a parking lot.

RoanokeVA is located on the dividing line between zones 9 and 10.
I have noticed my compass is irregular when it crosses zones.

Or maybe a fuse? Does the mirror dim properly?

Post back your solution.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I had previously driven the car in a circle for 5 laps, and nothing happened. I'm not seeing a "C" or anything else in the mirror. I didn't check for a blown fuse because the ON/OFF button turns on the little green lights which I assume means that the fuse is OK. I'll have to check the dimming feature. I tried earlier today to find a sensor opening on the backside of the mirror because I had read a post that suggested if the hole is covered with a finger, the dimming feature can be checked during daylight, but I didn't feel anything described as a sensor opening. Thanks again.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The power button on the left side of the mirror turns on and off the electrochromic mirror feature if you don't have the compass.

Does the mirror have the dark square in the upper right hand corner?
If the square is dark and no numbers are displayed then you have a problem, if the mirror looks like a mirror with no dark colored square you don't have a compass. Does this car have a navigation system? (the compass is deleted on the cars with nav)

Typically there is just a small hole facing forward that is the ambient light sensor. It's just a small hole in the backing of the mirror housing.
There is a small hole near the switches facing the driver that is the photocell that picks up light from the back.

HTH

·
Registered
2017 ATS Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ewill3rd, thanks so much. Your reply did it for me. The car does have a navigation system, but was delivered without the navigation system supplemental documentation, which I subsequently requested to be ordered through the dealership that sold me the car. I haven't yet received it, so I've been performing my troubleshooting efforts using the Owner's Manual. Thanks again. I really appreciate your response. And, thanks to others who left a reply.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
That is strange .. Having nav you dont have compass.. Must be something newer.. My 00' Came with factory nav but I still have the compass in the mirror.

MacK

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Correct in 2002 the Compass was dropped from the mirror on NAV equipped cars... The little TV screen has a compass... in Nav mode.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I have a 2003 STS with the Nav. No compass in Rear View Mirror. Compass is in the Nav.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Glad I could help clear that up for you.

It's actually a problem we have with OnStar upgrades on the STS that made me think of it. Some have a compass and some don't. But they only have one upgrade kit with no compass and some folks are a little irritated.

Sometimes the owner's manual actually directly conflicts the nav and entertainment supplement. Someday they'll get it worked out.

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
133 Posts
I think if you really wanted to you could have special ordered it with the NAV system AND the mirror w/compass. I rarely look and mine and it spends more time turned off then on.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Think he bought it as pre-owned.
Either way....
Id probably have mine off all the time as well, but the kids like to watch it change and let me know which way Im going.

Never Eat Sour Watermelons
Never Enter Stinky Washrooms
Never Wash Stinky Elephants (if your going counter-clock wise) :cookoo:

I my self learned it as "Never Eat Soggy Weiners"

At least the kids are having fun. They just love going for rides in Daddys car :thumbsup:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I have the ECMirror with the compass in my Trailblazer and even though it's on all the time, I rarely ever look at it.
Of course these days I only drive to work and back. I think round trip it's like 8 miles. I hope I can't get lost doing that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts