Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CT6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with getting their CT6 repaired after being involved in an accident. My vehicle was rear ended on March 27, 2017 and my vehicle ended up going to 3 different body shops as the Cadillac dealer was not certified to repair vehicles with an aluminum frame. I had the vehicle transferred to Caliber Collision for the repair as they were certified in aluminum repair but GM stated that this repair shop was not certified in GM repair. My vehicle was transferred to a third repair shop that is qualified to repair GM vehicles with aluminum frames. This has been a nightmare and my vehicle has been in the repair shop longer than I have actually driven it. My question is: in the event of an accident, where can you have your vehicle repaired??? My vehicle is still in the repair shop and may not be ready until late May or early June. Has anyone had an issue with any body repair issues????

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with getting their CT6 repaired after being involved in an accident. My vehicle was rear ended on March 27, 2017 and my vehicle ended up going to 3 different body shops as the Cadillac dealer was not certified to repair vehicles with an aluminum frame. I had the vehicle transferred to Caliber Collision for the repair as they were certified in aluminum repair but GM stated that this repair shop was not certified in GM repair. My vehicle was transferred to a third repair shop that is qualified to repair GM vehicles with aluminum frames. This has been a nightmare and my vehicle has been in the repair shop longer than I have actually driven it. My question is: in the event of an accident, where can you have your vehicle repaired??? My vehicle is still in the repair shop and may not be ready until late May or early June. Has anyone had an issue with any body repair issues????
You might have better luck getting an answer to this question in Audi forums and Ford F-150 forums...since both of those have had aluminum body/chassis/frame longer than CT6.....in Audis case much longer

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
889 Posts
I thought a point was made before the car came to market that there was going to be a repair issue because of the mixed material frame and that GM/Cadillac was going to designate certified repair shops.... Guess that wasn't considered a "selling point" and so not much was made of it at the time.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
546 Posts
Only 25 states have repair shops in the CADILLAC ALUMINUM REPAIR NETWORK SHOP LIST. You can search for "Cadillac-Aluminum-Repair-Network-Shop-List-March.pdf" to get the latest list. If you're in Canada there are only two shops. If you're in Hawaii your car is going to the mainland. Luckily for me there is a certified shop only 20 miles away.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CT6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 25 states have repair shops in the CADILLAC ALUMINUM REPAIR NETWORK SHOP LIST. You can search for "Cadillac-Aluminum-Repair-Network-Shop-List-March.pdf" to get the latest list. If you're in Canada there are only two shops. If you're in Hawaii your car is going to the mainland. Luckily for me there is a certified shop only 20 miles away.
Yes, thanks for the list. My car is at the one in North Hollywood. Only 5 shops for the entire state of California. It is truly a shame that a company such as GM doesn't seem to care about their customers. What is really sad is that I took my vehicle to a Cadillac dealer body shop and they kept the car for 2 weeks waiting for the parts to be delivered. Once they received the parts they realized that they cannot perform this repair as they aren't aluminum certified. But this dealer has provided me with a free loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,831 Posts
The real issue isn't that GM doesn't care about their customers, the problem is caused by the introduction of new technology and the subsequent means to repair it which is slowly being implemented in body shops. The CT6 has only been out for a little over a year and I doubt there is a widespread surge of repairs needed. Repairing the bodies requires GM certification, special equipment and training, which costs money. As more vehicle manufacturers adopt this new method of joining metal, there will be a larger market for auto body shops to get into. As shown in your situation, unfortunately not all Cadillac dealerships are even aware of the special requirements to repair the CT6, which is understandably frustrating.

·
Registered
2005 CTS V (long gone), 2016 CT6
315 Posts
Thought about this in advance and it turns out one of the best aluminum auto body shops in town is around the corner from my house...just in case of emergency. Always noticed they had a lot of high end luxury vehicles parked for repair, didn't make the connection until looking them up.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
BMW will be be going through this kind of growing pain in a fierce way, with the carbon fiber frame/chassis in the i3 and 7 series.....i think GM was smart when they opted for a mixed metal approach to their lightweighting efforts, because it's likely the repair industry will be ready for metals like aluminum before they are ready for Carbon Fiber

This is how Lamborghini does it

here's another

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
232 Posts
My dad's late cousin in Texas bought a Mercedes when they were first selling in the US. Her husband took it hunting and broke an axle. They had to send the car to Atlanta, IIRC, because that's where the tools were.

·
Registered
CT6-PremiumLuxury-TriCoatWhiteLoaded
88 Posts
Agree 100%. When they showed the car at the Auto show, first thing I was thinking of was "who is capable of doing repairs." Made sure when I ordered the car that there is an approved facility nearby (as it turns out, they are closer to me.. 5 miles.. than the dealer!!) Hope I don't need it. These days "fender benders" are super expensive with all of the cameras and sensors for 360, ACC, NightVision etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts