Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the alternator in my 87 brougham 5.0 liter due to the bearings freezing up in the old one. I actually had to have a family member replace it for me because I was in the hospital with the flu for the past week. Now I get discharged from the hospital yesterday and the alternator light is on and as of about 5 minutes ago the car shut off in the drive-way and won't restart. All I hear is a clicking sound from somwehere under the hood or in the car. What I was wondering is if someone here could post or point me in the right direction for the wiring diagram for the starting and charging system for this car. I really don't want to have to go out in the 5 degree weather to fix this thing after just getting out of the hospital just yesterday but I see no other choice as the wife needs the car for work. Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Check your fusible links. When the old alternator blew, it may have taken one with it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Also, maybe the feilds are not being energized. Is this an internally regulated alternator? (1 or 3 wire)

·
Registered
520 Posts
DaveSmed said:
Also, maybe the feilds are not being energized. Is this an internally regulated alternator? (1 or 3 wire)
Another thought Dave, going by the clicking sound how about just a loose battery connection ? The alt. was replaced so the battery was most likely disconnected. Bad alternators sometimes let the terminals corrode, and side post are a pain in the butt anyway. I'd pull the wires, make sure they're clean, and put them back. Plus throw a charger on for a while. What do you think ?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
A very good possibility. Before you do this, make friends with someone who has a heated garage. It makes a big difference. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your bad alternator may have allowed the battery to run down. A battery that has been run down don't do well in cold temperatures. Like mentioned above, check your connections, charge the battery overnite, and hope none of the cells have been damaged. These newer style small batteries, don't hold up like the older bigger ones. The clicking sound your hearing is the sound of the starter solenoid not engaging properly due to not having the proper voltage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts