Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello.. i need some advice about my 95 sts.. 145k iits been givin me hell latley.. 1st the radiator started leaking so i finally ordered a new one.. i got it today.. when i removed the old one i noticed that there was what appeared to be two spots for a red and black wire on the plug of the alternator.but only the red was hooked up.. so i peeled back the plastic housing to see if i could find the rest of what appeared to be the black one.. but there wasnt.. anyways i pluged it back in thinking that was the way it should be.. so i put in the radiator and start the car..
the no charge light came up on the dash.. the volts just continued to drop ... i checked that plug like 12 times along with the termanals.. it is wierd.. the alternator worked fine when i parked the car a week ago and now nothing.. could i have done something wrong? should there be two wires hooked up? After looking more.. it appeard the black wire is a piece of plastic tubing..
I continued to chase down that one little red wire.. then i noticed radiator fluid leaking from the steel lines near where the heater hoses connect.. at first i thought is was just the overflow tank but nope... it is leaking from a pinhole in the hard steel line that looks to wrap around the motor, back to the thermastat housing.. the car has been a great car and ive taken good care of it.. im jsut puzzeled on the alternator thing.. and the new leak.. do i have to replace the whole line or can u patch it..looks like youd have to pull the motor to replace it.. geez... please respond with any ideas or thoughts.. thanks..

:cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

·
Registered
98 STS
22 Posts
I don't know about the alternator problem but maybe I can help out with the pinhole leak. As long as the tube is in good shape (no obvious corrosion) then you could try this stuff called liquid metal. I get it from the local welding sypply place (Praxair). The sell it in a bottle about the same size as those ABS glues and 1 bottle will last you a lifetime. Paid around $30 last time and you just have to make sure the area is clean and dry before you put this stuff on. It is like a paste but hardens just like steel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay.. maybe ill try that i have some water wetter stuff i got from napa i was going to repair the radiator with.. but it sounds like what u think will make the lines work too.. thanks for the advice.. i need the alternator to work tooo.. could coolant ruien the alternator.. if it got wet maybe.. ?????

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Replace the line. Any fix will be temporary at best. If the line has a pin hole in it, you can bet there are many mor inside that are just waiting to open up, assuming it corroded from inside. If that is the case, then the cooling system was neglected. If it is external corrosion and that is the only spot, then mcsteve's fix may work. I think someone once replaced it with a hose instead of the steel line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took the alternator off and got it tested... it tested bad... what a wierd thing goin out like it did.. the only thing i can think is that coolant must have gotten in there and caused to destroy itself... im gonna go get a new one well see what happens then...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts