Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much do like my 2013 Lux, but I'm not sure that I'll be keeping it beyond its 4/50K warranty. Although I bought new cars when I retired (2002 BMW 325, 2005 BMW Z4), I'm not a "deep-pockets" guy. Always had a 2nd hand car for the wife and a company leased car (mid-level GM/Ford/Chrysler) for me. I got the ATS because I wanted a drive like the BMW's, but didn't want a BMW. The ATS fit the bill perfectly, drove as good as or better than my BMWs, was more of a luxury car than the BMW and cost less. However, I believe that I have been to the dealership (repairs/recalls) more times within the last two year of ATS ownership than I had been with ALL my other cars (at least 10-12 cars). So, thinking ahead, knowing my next car will not be a Cadillac ATS, which 4-door car can take it's place? Trying to keep costs at the same level and having a car with the ATS' driving characteristics, I can only come up with the BMW 228. Any other cars to consider? BTW, this is not a troll, just a very fearful new Cadillac owner who's not feeling too secure in getting another Cadillac.

·
Registered
'15 ATS Coupe Lux
93 Posts
I got the ATS because I wanted a drive like the BMW's, but didn't want a BMW. The ATS fit the bill perfectly, drove as good as or better than my BMWs, was more of a luxury car than the BMW and cost less. .
couldn't agree more. I was thrilled to get away from BMW. but I understand your desire to move away from a troublesome vehicle. I haven't owned my long enough yet to experience any problems but if it ends up to be as troublesome of some the american made cars I've purchased in the past I wont hesitate to go back to foreign made. maybe audi or benz?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
couldn't agree more. I was thrilled to get away from BMW. but I understand your desire to move away from a troublesome vehicle. I haven't owned my long enough yet to experience any problems but if it ends up to be as troublesome of some the american made cars I've purchased in the past I wont hesitate to go back to foreign made. maybe audi or benz?
BTW, I love the ATS coupe and that is the car that I'd get when I could no longer easily get in and out of my Z4. But, I do have concerns brought on by my very unexpected over-abundance of dealership visits with my present ATS. Hope you have a lot fewer problems than we alpha-test drivers do.

C

·
0 Posts
The Jaguar XE will be available in the U.S. by late this year or 1st - 2nd Qtr of next year.
Most of the reviews I have read make a lot of comparisons to the ATS so I am seriously considering replacing my ATS with the 3.0 Supercharged XE-S next year.
Back seat room appears to be the same as the ATS and has been compared to it but the trunk has more storage room, Plus it Weighs less than my ATS with a 0-60 in 4.9

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
Jaguar XE? Seriously? Cause I know if I wanna go to a different manufacturer cause of issues then obvious next step is to go from an American brand to an English brand...Wait, that aint right.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. If you're looking to lease something with the intention of buying with attention paid to potential costs outside of the warranty, I would not touch a BMW or an Audi. I certainly, certainly would not touch a new model year Jaguar.

Instead, you should go in the other direction. Get a top of the line Toyota Camry, Honda Accord or Nissan Altima. Boring? Yes, but reliable and dependable. They look very good for the first couple of years and they last a long time.

Another consideration would be the Lexus model that still remains closest to its parent - the ES. Acuras are temperamental. I don't know much about Infiniti in general, but the one that used to be Q37 has a good track record.

You'd also gain more free time because most of the drivers of cars listed above aren't enthusiastic enough about them to post in a car forum.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Fly, I'd look at the Buick Regal. If you are looking for a good price point and want some of the same lux features. Its FWD but they also have an AWD version and I understand it drives surprisingly well.

·
Registered
2013 ATS AWD 2.0T
23 Posts
Fly, I agree with you, my 2013 ATS has been in the shop too many times in the 15 months and 35,000 miles that I've owned it. I had a 2011 Buick Regal 2.0 before the ATS, drove it for 3 years and
75,000 miles and it was only in the shop ONCE (other that scheduled maintenance) to replace the hood alarm switch. I feel the ATS may be a "money pit" after the warranty is up. I may go far a 2016 Dodge Charger AWD next.
BTW, my wife drives a 2010 Audi A4 2.0 AWD, purchased new, has 50,000 miles and have had the turbo replaced and all 4 pistons replaced last year, all under warranty. I will also be dumping this car soon.I just called Audi to set up a 50k mile service (oil change, replace oil, cabin, and air filters), they quoted me $350!!!

·
Vendor
ATS 2.0T gone, 17 Charger Scat Pack current
1,179 Posts
Fly, I'd look at the Buick Regal. If you are looking for a good price point and want some of the same lux features. Its FWD but they also have an AWD version and I understand it surprisingly well.
nyinstaler recently picked up a 14 Regal GS 2.0T AWD....its a really nice car. I actually dig the somewhat aggressive styling it offers, wheels are nice, just needs to be lowered a bit.
And it has more interior room that the ATS by a long shot.

·
Registered
ATS
455 Posts
The 228i seems to be more in tune with older BMWs then their 3/4 series,

sharper handling than the 3 series, lighter and better balance

0-60 (4.9 - 5.0 sec from the 2.0T) and it starts at MSRP 32,100$

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
nyinstaler recently picked up a 14 Regal GS 2.0T AWD....its a really nice car. I actually dig the somewhat aggressive styling it offers, wheels are nice, just needs to be lowered a bit.
And it has more interior room that the ATS by a long shot.
I'm getting a Regal Turbo next year for my wife. Hopefully a GS. Beautiful car and offers a lot of features. FWD is good for her so it's a win win.

I would not even consider a Jaguar. The depreciation on Jags is horrible and costly to fix.

·
Registered
none now, but will look at CT5. 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. Former 14 ATS 3.6
218 Posts
Lots of nice cars in the compact luxury class. One that intrigues me is the new Mercedes C Class. It has a very nice interior and is vastly improved from the last generation model.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
105 Posts
I'm getting a Regal Turbo next year for my wife. Hopefully a GS. Beautiful car and offers a lot of features. FWD is good for her so it's a win win.

I would not even consider a Jaguar. The depreciation on Jags is horrible and costly to fix.
The depreciation of our ATS's are even worse.....LOL

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T AWD
8 Posts
Agreed. The only thing that helped me stomach the thought of the extreme depreciation was the culprit itself (ie. the large incentives due to supply). I picked up my 2.0T AWD in February for just over $27K (list was $41K) so that helped a little on the front end. I figured the rest of the depreciation gap that I will incur after I run the wheels off it and trade it in will just be the cost of owning and driving a vehicle in this class.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts