Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately, I've been getting into some alternative rock, namely '90s Grunge. Stuff like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains....and even a little bit of R.E.M. :shocked2:

What can you guys recommend?

·
Registered
Yep
746 Posts
Hank III, Tha' Legendary Shack Shakers, Unknown Hinson, Wayne "The Train" Hancock :alchi:

Bands pertaining your request on the other hand; NIN, Soundgarden, The Melvins, & Alkaline Trio to name a few. :alchi:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I burned Soundgarden's "Superunknown" onto my computer last year, I liked "Blackout Sun" a lot, but then my computer crashed and I havent' gotten it back yet.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Wow, you're just discovering this stuff? Oh man, I don't know where to start.

Where did you burn the album from?

Anyway, you seem to be on the right track, as far as what bands you're listening to. Just keep digging into their stuff, you have plenty to choose from. And what's so shocking about R.E.M? they have some great stuff. Especially it's the end of the world as we know it. Did you know that they used that song as the pattern for the opening of Friends? Then they wrote the theme song with the same tempo later.

Well, that's my pearl of useless information for the day...

·
Registered
Yep
746 Posts
I burned Soundgarden's "Superunknown" onto my computer last year, I liked "Blackout Sun" a lot, but then my computer crashed and I havent' gotten it back yet.
You probably haven't gotten it back yet because it's called "Black Hole Sun". Also check into Temple Of The Dog, that was the guys from Pearl jam & Soundgarden before either of them became big. :alchi:

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, wow I can't believe I missed that.

I was shocked to say REM because their group, (IIRC), atleast Michael Stipe, is super left and one of those environmentalist types...not exactly up my alley.

I burned the album from a copy I got from the college I went to. I don't go to college anymore and I don't dare step into the local public library, so I've either gotta buy it or download it.

Aside from Grunge, what other types of alternative is there?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, weren't they started by Dave Grohl...the drummer from Nirvana?

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Ha...My entire album of CD's would fit you nicely...well...if you pulled the country and the hard rock/metal out of it.

Try the song Stars by Hum. F'ing AWESOME song that no ones ever heard of.

Look into Floater. Probably hard to find as they're a local group up in the Portland area, but they come to Chico quite often and kinda call that one of their hometowns. Best way to describe them is if Pink Floyd was an early nineties grunge band with a bit of heavy metal mixed in. Gooood shiznit.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
Try this:
Alternative Nation

It's one of the stations I listen to at work and will give you a good variety of what is out there in the alternative genre.
Alternative is kind of a catch all for many different kinds of music.

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
Ha...My entire album of CD's would fit you nicely...well...if you pulled the country and the hard rock/metal out of it.

Try the song Stars by Hum.
Downloading as i type this. Evergreen Terrace apparently did a cover of it also...

Chad, you have SO MUCH to learn about great '90's music. I can help here. My computer is full of it. Well 80's and 90's alternative and rap.

I will post later with songs you have to download...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
STP...that's the one I was thinking of. Scott Weiland and the rest of Pearl Jam (it was Pearl Jam right?). Is their stuff a lot like Pearl Jam?

What are great alternative albums?

So far, I have:

Automatic for the People: REM
Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness: Smashing Pumpkins
Dirt: Alice in Chains (or are they just metal?)
Nevermind: Nirvana
Ten: Pearl Jam

·
Registered
Yep
746 Posts
STP...that's the one I was thinking of. Scott Weiland and the rest of Pearl Jam (it was Pearl Jam right?). Is their stuff a lot like Pearl Jam?
Eddie Vedder was the lead singer of Pearl Jam. :alchi:

Scott was Stone Temple Pilots & Velvet Revolver. :alchi:

This thread makes me feel like I'm back in high school, getting drunk, running my car off the road into snow banks, throwing corn cobs at police cars, pi$$ing on door handles in the winter, etc. Man I miss the good ol' days. :alchi:

·
Registered
Yep
746 Posts
What rock where you living under in the 90's Chad? I'd add to the list if I could remember names. Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View was pretty big in the bars down in Bama
Ahh St. Cloud, I forgot to mention the time I was kicked out of Mario's Keller Bar (Under "The Red Carpet") for urinating in the peanut barrel. That was a GOOD nite. :alchi:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts