Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS Premium, 2009 3.6 DI AWD Performance Package, 2003 Seville STS
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there done any experimenting with wider 16" tires for their OEM wheels? What size can I use other than 225 60 16 if I wnat to use a wider tire without changing the height of the tires? Has anyone used the VR rated Sumitumo HTR+ tires. According to reviews it seems to be an awesome Ultra Performance All Season tire but I've been told by a tire salesman that they would give the Seville too much of a harsch ride. Any opinions on that?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=26VR6HTRPL&fromCompare1=yes

Thx!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
growe3 said:
I have been using Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 in the stock size and they work great.

Michelin Pilot XGT Z4
I'm looking for a tire size that would reach closer to the edge of the wheel well. This Michelin sounds good but there doesn't seem to be much of a match between the Sumitumo and the Michelin. The cost factors are $65 for the Sumitumo vs. $127 for the Michelin and the Sumitumo has better ratings. I wouldn't try to use the Michelin in snow with a rating of 6 of 10, however, I wouldn't hesitate using the Sumitumo with a score of 7.4 of 10. Wet traction and hydro resistance is also 7.4/7.2 vs 8.2 for the Sumitumo.

If you like the Michelin I have a feeling you might love the Sumitumo. If I stay with stock size then that is the tire I'm definitely going with. I'm not sure what I'll go with if I can find a wider 16" with the same height.

·
Registered
1993 STS and 2004 DTS
564 Posts
Regarding the lower rating for snow I do very little driving in snow so I can't personally say how the Michelins work in it.

In hot, cold, wet, or dry they are excellent in control and wear!

I drive mostly freeway but also spend a lot of time in our winding mountain roads in the California Sierras. No need to baby this car here, it holds great.

Another thing to keep in mind when reading tire reviews is that many complaints are from people using the wrong size or type of tire on their car. GM has put in a lot of time on this research and you would do well to keep this in mind regarding the overall size. Different tire brands and tire designs are another matter. I would stick with the stock size tire, and consider the brand and tire design that you think will improve your ride and/or look better.

Make sure the ones that you use to help make a decision are from cars that are similar to yours in size, weight and type (17’ long, 3,700 lbs, strong power), not a smaller, lighter car or there is no comparison.

Regarding something to help in seeing the difference in tire sizes try the following link; note that you can view the tire from the side or end view.

-George

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Points well taken. Thanks for the link to the calculator, it's awesome and just what I needed. It appears that the 225 60 16 and the 245 55 16 are the same height.

I still haven't decided which way to go but I definitely understand your point on the car companies R&D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts