Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 SLS, 63 Sedan De Ville
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, her goes...

Prior to the events described below, this car has run flawlessly since I got it, 6 months ago.

This afternoon, we went to a friends to watch the Cowboys/Vikings game. While this may have no bearing on the problem, our friends have a very steep entry to their driveway and I dragged both the nose and midsection of the car pulling into their drive.

After the game, we were leaving and I started the car. It started, but it didn't have any dash guages, no diagnostic displays, no HVAC or Radio, no windows, central doorlocks, or sunroof. Finally, the ignition key is locked in the "Ignition On" position and I can't turn the car off or remove the key. All I have is an SES light. Unfortunately, I can't pull the codes to find out why.

I finally got the car turned off by pulling the Igntion Maxi Fuses. I also pulled the battery neg cable off for about 45 minutes in an attempt to reset the PCM. I checked all of the fuses and they all looked good. I also checked all of my cable connections under-hood and under the dash. No joy.

And then, by accident, I grabbed the steering wheel as I was pulling myself off the floor and, Voila'...everything came on! So I started investigating the steering column. Problem is, I can't pull any of the covers off to check underneath for loose connections!

A few other things I'd like to add.
1. The car starts, but you cannot turn it off.
2. While it was idling, it started to overheat.
3. The steering is "Heavy". What I mean is that, there is resistance while the car is stationary, but it's not a bad steering pump or broken belt.
4. The car runs but it is extremely rough.
5. I cannot turn the car off or remove the ignition key, (transmission interlock issues???). The car is now parked, with the ignition key in the column, at our friends house.

I need help! I almost positive I've got loose connections in the column. I might also have a bad ignition swith/ignition lock. Everything points this way. I'm stumped however, how to access everything under the column covers to check. I'm also open to any other suggestion the membership might have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III, 2006 DTS w/sunroof & navigation (scrapped), 1997 ETC (Sold)
209 Posts
Ignition switch sounds like it is bad. The ignition switch itself may be at the base of the steering column. A lot of vehicles are that way now and with a tilt wheel there is a rod/linkage from the key switch to the ignition switch. That would explain why it won't shut off and the loss of the accessory circuits. As far as the covers go, I am not much help as I have not had that area of mine apart YET.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts