Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 Allante radio quit working. I replaced the CDM with a rebuild. Now it works, but only when turned all the way up and then at very low volume.
I've read that replacing the capacitors on the individual speaker amps might help, but find that curious as they all quit working at once
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1990.5 allante, 1990 allante
54 Posts
Are you sure that the radio tuner that you replaced (unit behind glove box) , was a rebuild and not a replacement used one? One of my Allantes had low volume and replacing unit behind glove box with a rebuild unit brought the sound volume
back to normal.
A long time ago, about 20 some years ago, my other Allante had the amps go bad, They are with each speaker, 4 of them, but they went bad one at a time, with a popping noise in one of them, and others just quit altogether, and I had the caps replaced with a larger voltage ones and that took care of that issue.
I can only tell you what worked for me and this did solve each issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
'92 ALLANTE & 02 EXT
114 Posts
Are you sure that the radio tuner that you replaced (unit behind glove box) , was a rebuild and not a replacement used one? One of my Allantes had low volume and replacing unit behind glove box with a rebuild unit brought the sound volume
back to normal.
A long time ago, about 20 some years ago, my other Allante had the amps go bad, They are with each speaker, 4 of them, but they went bad one at a time, with a popping noise in one of them, and others just quit altogether, and I had the caps replaced with a larger voltage ones and that took care of that issue.
I can only tell you what worked for me and this did solve each issue. Good luck.

Before you send the amps to get rebuilt, read my prior posts concerning this issue. Junk yard amps are a hell of a lot cheaper. You can find them in Eldos & Sevilles. Rated a bit more powerful but they do work great . Make sure you get the wire harness going to the amp in case your old one don't fit.

Been there & done that !
Tn. Kjun

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tn, Kjun
The tuner was advertised as rebuilt, but who knows on ebay. It does sound like my replacement tuner is not up to snuff

Does anyone know a good place to have it truly rebuilt, or it is simple like replacing the caps in the amps?

·
Registered
allante
58 Posts
I agree with Kjun also look at 1995 Nissan maxiam & ultimas got set's for $13.00 from local pull your own as per radio check out factory car stereo repair $ 125.00 phone 407-830-0777 or John monzo cadillacallanteclub.com phone 609-634-6518 just got one from him

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, So '95 Maxima used the same Delco CDM with the same connectors to fit in my '90 Allante?

·
Registered
allante
58 Posts
look for 95 to 98 with a bose system amp's then I looked up the speaker wiring for the 95 Nissan & my 89 matched the wiring (splicing required) also the Nissan amps have two wire's for twitter's you just tape off

·
Registered
Allante
2 Posts
Just bought a1990 allante, 65,000 mi. Fun car. Road tripped from Indiana to So. Carolina and discovered all the bugs ie. need to adjust the top rear latch pull down, fix left speakers front and rear( low volume on right front and rear),ac just went out( clutch coil) whew, but the two that bother me most are the brake light and the apparent high engine temp. Don't think they're related. Gonna follow the tips on the radio fixes from this forum. Very helpful! Got the ac covered. No biggie. But where should the engine temp gauge read? Dead center? Mine reads 2 marks past center. It'll climb one mark short of red in 90° weather then drop back while driving. Antifreeze looks clean and topped. No leaks. The brakes are acting like they need bleeding. Light doesn't always stay on after start up. Intermittent. Brakes feel the same with or without the light on. Sorry about the long post. I'm new to this but have enjoyed everyone's input. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Temp gauge should be 1 to 2 marks below center. First thing to check is air trapped in the cooling system. Because the radiator is mounted lower than the engine it could be low on coolant. It must be "burped" With the car raised in front, engine cold, remove the cap. It should overflow from the neck if full. If not, start the engine and monitor the level as it warms up. The level will drop once the thermostat opens. Be ready to top off the fluid. Ideally have a friend keep the RPM's up to around 1500 while the engine warms. Once you top it off, quickly reinstall a NEW Delco cap. Then let the RPM's drop back. That should burp the system. Otherwise you might have a partially plugged radiator, slow responding aux fan or timing below spec. The brake light is a bad sign of impending brake failure! You might Google www.allantesource.com and read his tutorial on brake diagnosis and follow it to the letter. Most Allantes end up totaled because of sudden brake failure because the driver ignored the red brake light! I have a feeling it was sold because of the brake warning light issue. And..... please list the year of your car in your profile along with your location IE state or country!

·
Registered
Allante
2 Posts
Thanks carnut for your response. Still trying to learn this forum, like where do I create my profile? I'll get it. Just bear with me please. I'll try that burping when I get back home to Indiana. At someone's apartment in ga now. No place to do my own mechanic work here. I am going to a local mechanic here in GA for oil change and I'll ask him to check out brakes and radiator before driving back. Thanks again for your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts