Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a combined EPA figure of 16 MPG, I believe the Allante is eligible for the cash-for-clunkers program with a $3500 or $4500 voucher if you scrap the car and buy a new vehicle that gets 4 or 10 MPG better average mileage. While I doubt many folks here are lining up to scrap their cars, there will likely be some. Is there any way to ensure that these traded cars get preserved for parts rather than just crushed?

Other thoughts on Allantes as clunkers?

·
Registered
ETC
34 Posts
With a combined EPA figure of 16 MPG, I believe the Allante is eligible for the cash-for-clunkers program with a $3500 or $4500 voucher if you scrap the car and buy a new vehicle that gets 4 or 10 MPG better average mileage. While I doubt many folks here are lining up to scrap their cars, there will likely be some. Is there any way to ensure that these traded cars get preserved for parts rather than just crushed?

Other thoughts on Allantes as clunkers?
Q: What does the dealer do with my trade-in?

A: Gives it to a salvage operator. The engine, transmission and some other parts must be destroyed so they can't be reused. The idea is to cull fuel-thirsty, polluting drivetrains. Operators can resell other parts, however

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-05-11-chrysler-gm-cash-clunkers_N.htm

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
Let the Allante car and part hoarding begin...

The real sad thing is, $4,500 is a lot of money, and far exceeds the car's value for the average joe if it isn't running (or is running poorly). Why bother finding a buyer and dealing with lowballers, tire-kickers, et al. when there's a couple grand waiting for you to scrap it?

·
Registered
1990 Allante Phase I
26 Posts
I've got a fine-running '90 Phase I that I would rather sell to someone who will drive it, than to have it scrapped. :alchi:

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
There are going to be a TON of old (desirable to the insane collector) cars scrapped due to this. Thanks Chmn. Maobama!!

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
136 Posts
The USA used to be a free country. Now we are the liberal Fascist States of America.
I hope we all can survive this s**t storm until the Anointed One is voted out or otherwise removed from office.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Allante-Northstar
186 Posts
This is our 12th recession since 'The Great Depression' and we have survived them all. This one will be no different, that's what America is all about. I would not have served two tours in Vietnam if I remotely thought any differently. 'Sacking up' is never a fun thing to do, but we still have do it.

So if you want to trade your 'pink slip' for 'Cash for Clunkers' car note, then it's still a free country! It's choice, not chance that determines your destiny.

Peace,

Chief

·
Registered
1989 Red Allante,
313 Posts
Has anyone thought to inquire if any parts can be removed prior to a turn in. Headlight, taillights,grille are easy removals foe at least $1200-1500.

·
Registered
Allante
1 Posts
Have 2 Allante's - a 91 and 92. One runs, the other doesn't. Was thinking about the Cash-for-Clunkers deal...only because both cars need so much work and cash to get back into "good running condition". Can't find buyer's for either of them. Was going to make 1 good running car out both.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V Black/Black
700 Posts
Have 2 Allante's - a 91 and 92. One runs, the other doesn't. Was thinking about the Cash-for-Clunkers deal...only because both cars need so much work and cash to get back into "good running condition". Can't find buyer's for either of them. Was going to make 1 good running car out both.

It has to be running and registered and insured within the last year too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts