Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is involved in modifying an earlier model Allante hardtop, say a 1990 for instance, to fit onto a 1992 Allante? Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
The front weatherstrip and method of attachment to the windshield header are the issues that need attention. The rear hook and the side hooks are the same across all the Allante' years. Some of the very early hardtops (1987 and 1988) had hollow rubber seals that cannot satisfactorily be modified to fit the later year Allante's unless you don't care about water leakage. Always check the front weatherstrip to make sure it looks similar in construction to what is on the front of your convertible top across the header. The later seals have a "V" type cross section, whereas the early seals have two rounded hollow rubber sections with a metal plate hidden down between the sections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information, it was very complete and I do appreciate your help. I've heard that the front seals you mention are no longer available.
Thanks again.

·
Banned
2005 Cadillac STS4 ISG PKG
205 Posts
To convert my 92 to accept a phase 1 top all i have to do is the 2 bolt method which is what i did.it cost all of $2.50.look in the allante club of america forums an do a search .it has pic's from grouchy .it took me all of 1/2 hour to convert.this conversion gives you more bang for the buck.i even later converted my 6mm-10 bolts to the 6mm eye bolts which i ordered on line for about $10 for two and that's what the $129 conversion kit has.there is the $275 conversion, the $129 conversion and the 2 bolt conversion for anywhere from $2.50 to $10.the one you choose is up to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts