Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allante North, I noticed you have Borlas on yours. What do you think of them? Did you swap in a Firebird/Camaro system, or have just the muffler replaced?

I've been giving some serious thought to installing the mufflers off a C5 Corvette. Would require cutting a center hole in the bumper cover, and fabricating a Y-pipe to mate to the existing cat-back Allante system, but I think it has the potential to be very cool. Also, a little XLR-ish.

Two things that hold me back:
1) Noise - I don't want the Allante too loud, although I suspect stock 5.7 Corvette mufflers should adequately quiet my 4.5. Perhaps I'll have to add a resonator later up beind the converter.

2) Space - the horizontally-opposed corvette mufflers are pretty wide, but there is a lot of space under the Allante

However, I've seen stock C5 takeoffs for as little as $50 on E-bay which is a lot less than I paid for my current no-name replacement muffler!

I have a small mig welder on order. Once I get that and get some practice, I'll make the big decision.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Hi ckucia,

I have two Borla mufflers where the single Allante muffler was. I can send you some pictures if you like. It is a bit loud, but after I go to Bristol for some 1/4 mile runs I will either put the Cat back on or add a resonator or both. I want to see what kind of performance the Borlas and no Cat does for it first.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to see some pictures. Post them, or send me e-mail. I think you already have my e-mail...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, C5 Corvette exhausts apparently measure 26.5" from the outside edge of one muffler, to the innermost pipe of the same muffler. So, depending on how far apart you want to space the two pair of tips, you're looking at a minimum of about 54" of horizontal space that these mufflers will take up.

Now I've gotta crawl under the car and see what's available under there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
ckucia