Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
XT4 Black Sport
184 Posts
The new adds are most interesting.
I'm ready to be chastised.
However, does anyone else think that the new add campaign is more about Johan than the automobile?

(I put this in the SRX Forum also)
Does anyone else think that the new add campaign is about Johan and not the automobile?
I'm ready to be chastised.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Don't know, don't care. Not impressed with the artsy fartsy "Dare greatly" ad campaign. The CT6 commercial last night showed about a 3 second passing glimpse of the car after rambling on for 27 seconds about daring greatly.
We all know de Nysschen only wants rich folks to own Cadillacs. No need to appeal to the huddled masses who are more interested in the car than the glitzy commercials.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium AWD
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally liked this add. I think they were really addressing consumers saying " how dare they charge that much for a Cadillac." If Cadillac can beat out the competition in that segment, then all I can say is they should dare to charge a competitive price. About time Cadillac had a true flagship sedan again.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Don't know, don't care. Not impressed with the artsy fartsy "Dare greatly" ad campaign. The CT6 commercial last night showed about a 3 second passing glimpse of the car after rambling on for 27 seconds about daring greatly.
We all know de Nysschen only wants rich folks to own Cadillacs. No need to appeal to the huddled masses who are more interested in the car than the glitzy commercials.
And what were they in their prime in the 60s? Buicks? They built antiquated boats in the 80s and 90s and lost their class and market share.

You don't want them building great cars and charging market prices? You want Buicks again?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
You don't want them building great cars and charging market prices? You want Buicks again?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...
Cadillac is on the right path as far as building great cars. I'm very happy with my Cadillac and look forward to owning another if de Nysschen doesn't completely price all of us middle class people out of their customer base.
Mercedes, BMW and the other "premium" car makers charge more based at least partly on their perceived prestige. Not just because the cars actually cost that much to produce.
Cadillac did a smart thing (whether they realized it or not) by undercutting the competitions price. That started to attract buyers like me who recognized an excellent car at a reasonable (emphasis on reasonable) price.
Now Cadillac wants to join the other elitist brands with glitzy advertising campaigns that focus more on glamour and prestige than the car itself.
de Nysschen can price Cadillacs however he wants. I'm just a guy looking for a good car at a reasonable price.
Like you said, we will all be replaced.

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts
While I agree they didn't show enough car, I don't see where you're going with the second part of your statement.

Nor the third.

Cadillac is now in a position to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus. The new line of Cadillacs - actually I should say "semi" new because I think the first year they got the look down right was 2011 - is luxury performance. Adding AWD to the lineup has made their cars all the more interesting.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/cadillac_cts_2015

Look at the ratings on the right. The market has changed. If you want a boat that handles the road like a nun on cobblestones you should probably look at the Hyundai Genesis. I've test driven one. It's loose as a goose.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,306 Posts
I believe the official CT6 reveal is at the N.Y. auto show; just a glimpse (was all that was required to get 'their' point across). It was a 'thinking man's commercial and quite well done IMO. I don't think Cadillac is trying to 'expel' the common man (me included in that description) but they want the brand to 'reach' (so people will aspire) to own one. Oh, and yeah, I still like(d) the Led Zeppelin commercial (of old) for that was their entry back into the premium field (after some lack-luster cars). Again, JMO

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I found the commercial pretentious and boring. Dare greatly? Please. Cadillac isn't building another Hadron Collider or developing a cure for cancer. We're talking about cars, just cars.
A "thinking man's commercial"? Hardly. There hasn't ever been such a thing. Commercials and advertising in general are designed to appeal to peoples desires, not intellect.
If it were a thinking persons commercial they would have spent more time showing the car and explaining what makes it so great that we should choose it over brand X.
I agree that some commercials have been pretty entertaining.
I really liked the Escalade commercial with Bowie's Fame song.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Which phrase would motivate you more to buy a particular car, "Dare Greatly" or "Superior German Engineering." I, personally, don't think "Dare Greatly" is very motivating, but a rather sophomoric attempt at being different. I'd put my money on the phrase "Superior German Engineering" (although I don't believe in the truth of the phrase) to hold sway in the minds of the buyers of new executive level cars.

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts
Which phrase would motivate you more to buy a particular car, "Dare Greatly" or "Superior German Engineering." I, personally, don't think "Dare Greatly" is very motivating, but a rather sophomoric attempt at being different. I'd put my money on the phrase "Superior German Engineering" (although I don't believe in the truth of the phrase) to hold sway in the minds of the buyers of new executive level cars.
Remind me again which luxury cars made in the last 10 years have been the least reliable?

http://www.quora.com/BMW-automobile/Why-do-most-German-luxury-cars-have-much-poorer-reliability-than-other-cars

Let me give you a few hints:

SUPERIOR German engineering? Are they kidding?

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
^^^ May be so, and I wouldn't doubt your assertion, but having lived in a sea of high priced German cars for the last thirty years, I'd say the facts are not swaying the buying decisions of those that can afford to buy the cars new.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
^^^ May be so, and I wouldn't doubt your assertion, but having lived in a sea of high priced German cars for the last thirty years, I'd say the facts are not swaying the buying decisions of those that can afford to buy the cars new.
Very true. Advertising is about creating desire, a feeling that possession of the advertised item will improve the buyer's life to an extent that possession of the item is almost obligatory. This is generally done by demonstrating what the item in question can do for you better than any other substitute product could. I don't see how this new ad campaign does that. But that may just be me.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Premium Sportwagon w/ Touring, Black Raven
18 Posts
Screen grab of the CT6 vs. the (delicious, desireable, drop-dead-gorgeous IMHO) Elmiraj. I definitely see a family resemblance in the design language, but it ain't no Elmiraj.

As for the "Dare Greatly" ad campaign -- Let's hope for Cadillac's sake that it works at least as well as "Think Different" did for Apple.
And for us middle-class peons who still aspire to own a Cadillac despite Johan's determination to price us out of the market? Just do like I did and buy a gently used, low mileage two-year-old Cadillac for thousands less than what a new, loaded Kia Optima costs. I still think it'll be a while before Cadillacs hold their value like the German stuff does.
CT6 vs ElmirajSmall.gif

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Sorry, but Cadillac was never supposed to be a middle class brand (maybe upper middle class). That's what Buick and Oldsmobile were for....most of the luxury of Cadillac without all the price.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
^^Don't completely disagree. While Cadillacs may be out of reach for folks struggling from paycheck to paycheck, it is not uncommon for a middle class (or upper middle class) family to have a Cadillac in the driveway.
My own family is solidly middle class and have owned a number of Cadillacs over the years.
Look through these forums and you'll find plenty of middle class owners (and yes, leasees) of late model Cadillacs.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
According to the recent reports on auto depreciation the higher priced German cars are not holding their value any better than Cadillacs (well maybe a wee bit better). As I have said many times before the depreciation of new cars in the first few years after new sale is one of the U.S. greatest voluntary redistribution of wealth around to day!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
vfaninva said:
Don't know, don't care. Not impressed with the artsy fartsy "Dare greatly" ad campaign. The CT6 commercial last night showed about a 3 second passing glimpse of the car after rambling on for 27 seconds about daring greatly. We all know de Nysschen only wants rich folks to own Cadillacs. No need to appeal to the huddled masses who are more interested in the car than the glitzy commercials.
Yes. Your right, only the wealthy should be buying luxury cars......nothing new there !

----------

Dave295 said:
When I saw the massive CT-6 rolling out at the end, I damn near had tears in my eyes. They released this during the Oscars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGhaOV0BPmA The King of Cadillacs has arrived :worship: Now just waiting for specs
It looks stunning and I want one right now !!!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
"Dare greatly"

I wish the advertising company had showed this "Dare greatly" to decision makers in Cadillac in the first place to motivate them build and sell an Emiraj-like car, rather than a conservative, enlarged CTS and ATS! I don't see any daring in this shadow picture that I have seen from this CT-6!

I am pretty sure that there are many brilliant engineers/designers in Cadillac who know how to build extremely appealing cars, and they have proved this by the concepts cars such as Elmiraj. However, the people who sit around the table and make the final calls, seem to be extremely conservative and they block mass production of such cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts